Thread: John Jordan and John K Jordan

John Jordan and John K Jordan

John has been promising to come visit John for a long time and the occasion of John's demo yesterday at the Knoxville turning club was a good opportunity. John got the nickle tour of John's place and was introduced to the horses, llamas, bees, guineas, baby peacocks, and even the shop. John didn't clean up the shop for John; John cleans up the shop for no man. John had a great time; hope John did too!

The photo is low quality but the visit was not. John's demo at the club was well received and held everyone's attention - lots of inspiration from beautiful hollow forms and carving, a good education on how to turn quality wood instead of junk, ways to orient pieces in the log, how the wood moves with each choice, and why. No one left early!

(Unsolicited suggestion: If you haven't invited John to your club for a demo, you might consider it. )

A pleasant surprise in the slide show was a picture of the new grandson!

JKJ

Congratulations to both Johns!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't know about that shop, it looks pretty clean to me.... Well, compared to my shop...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I don't know about that shop, it looks pretty clean to me.... Well, compared to my shop...
    Ha! The shop is current littered with 10 projects in progress, piles of wood, and a bag of excellent carbide burnishing rods in the middle of the workbench.

JKJ

Ok, so now I'm so confused about John.....or was that "John".......Hummmm..... Nonetheless, glad y'all got to visit and I've never met a woodworker that I didn't like. Good on ya both!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Will the real John Jordan please stand up !
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Will the real John Jordan please stand up !
    We've had a lot of confusion over the years. We both live in TN, are the same age, play with lathes. When I started turning a friend told me if I just wrote my name on my work it would automatically fetch a big price!!! People wanted to be his Facebook friend and sent requests to me. (I explained the mistake to one famous turner and she said she wanted to be my FB friend anyway.) At a club meeting I had to tell one lady twice, No I'm Not that other John Jordan. Certain forums were the worst so I always made sure I used my middle initial K. People have made tools and sent to me. Invited me to teach places, got one of those requests last week. So far no one has ever sent me any of his money!
    At a symposium a few years ago John told me he got tired of explaining when he got compliments on my piece in the instant gallery he finally just started smiling and telling them thanks! At least my wife said it would be easy to remember his name.

This picture is of Doug Thompson and three Johns, with John Lucas in the middle, 7 or 8 years ago.
    Jordans_TAW_2010_cs.jpg

Now I have to go visit his place and he said he's going to make me to take some wood home since I made him take some. For some reason woodturners love visitors! Anyone who finds themselves in or just passing through East TN, come visit.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    John didn't clean up the shop for John; John cleans up the shop for no man.
    I heard that. Clean to me is clean enough to be reasonably safe and I don't want to spend more time looking for things than working.

Made the mistake of giving my shop a good cleaning for friends from CA so they would think my wife has married better than she has. It felt like telling a lie.

Fortunately, although I'm no great woodworker, I know my shop well enough to get it back to good-as-old in no time.
    RD