Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Submitted plans to the HOA

Submitted plans to the HOA

Wish me luck, feedback guaranteed with 10 business days.

16'x32'

Sounds like a, um...plan!! (looks like a nice one, too)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There are reasons I would never live under a HOA.

There are reasons I would never live under a HOA.
    Took the words right out of my mouth

Good luck. So long as it meets the rules, can't imagine they'd object.

Great thing about HOA's - - if you read the rules, then everyone knows what to expect... including you, the neighbors, the people 2 streets over, the guy who wants a wrecking yard in his driveway, the lady who wants to put a double-wide in her front yard, even the guy who wants a motocross track in his backyard. Its especially helpful to read them before you purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post

Great thing about HOA's - - if you read the rules, then everyone knows what to expect... including you, the neighbors, the people 2 streets over, the guy who wants a wrecking yard in his driveway, the lady who wants to put a double-wide in her front yard, even the guy who wants a motocross track in his backyard. Its especially helpful to read them before you purchase.
    +1. Yeah, there's pro's and con's about HOAs. Personally, I favor them for the reasons Malcolm mentions, if their restrictions seem reasonable to me. I've seen places where they arent though. They made a buddy of mine repaint his house because he tweaked the color just a little and he didnt precoordinate with the HOA. That still seems moronic to me - I mean, you're stuck with whatever color the builder used, forever? Really? (He talked to a lawyer who warned him that judges usually side with the HOA because deed restrictions are a kind of contract.)

So read them before you buy there and decide if they are tolerable for you. If not, just don't buy there.

Tom: Nice shop. Hope they approve! I'm envious.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-21-2017 at 8:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    ... decide if they are tolerable for you. If not, just don't buy there. ...
    My boss thought HOAs to be intolerable, so he bought in an un-restricted area. Just after move-in, his neighbor set to work in (the neighbor's) rather large backyard with a bulldozer. The neighbor installed just the best 1/4 mile illuminated motocross track you have ever seen!! My boss assures me there is NOTHING like the smell of 2-stoke exhaust at 2AM! ....The noise is just a bonus. Careful how free and unfettered a life you wish for. Here ends hijack.

Tom, we built a 16X24 shop for my dad, and he always regretted not going just a bit bigger. He had a fairly well equipped shop, but even 4' longer would have been huge in his estimation. I don't know what your tool inventory looks like, but 16x32 of well organized space is certainly enviable. Are you contracting the build, or going to DIY it?

Again, good luck, good building, and keep us updated.

I would cut down on the windows as they take up wall space, I wish I had more. Use skylights if you can better light.

There is a good example of an alternative solution on this video. Frank Howarth describes the process of designing and building his shop. It is a long but rather amazing video. The light source is a continuous belt of polycarbonate panels between the flat shed roof and the walls. It is exceptionally innovative and functional, and addresses the balance of light and wall space.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3_...ivgcGqPCTePLBA
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

So full story I thought I was applying for an "outbuilding" - but our HOA defines that as a shed that is technically moveable. Under the outbuilding code I was asking for a waiver of the height and proximity to my neighbors fence (5' instead of 10'). Amazingly I got a reply today that said the building looks really nice but that it was not an outbuilding. But I could reapply to build it as a permanent structure and they would approve. No waiver to the setback of 10', which isn't a huge deal just cuts down on my garden space. The other change is I have to do a brick exterior.

I'm going to try to DIY some percentage of it. Definitely contract out the concrete slab and now the brickwork, never done masonry for a structure like that and pouring concrete sucks. Probably will contract out the roof and just do installed trusses, mainly because I'm not sure I could coordinate 4-5 people to come over at once and I would be the only one with some experience at this. Otherwise I will do the framing, windows, electrical and the plumbing aside from connecting to the main and drain. Might need a sump pump because I think it is uphill.

Interior still in planning phase but definitely hardwood flooring. Considering pine T&G for the walls as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Sidley View Post
    I would cut down on the windows as they take up wall space, I wish I had more. Use skylights if you can better light.
    My Roubo will take up most of the space on one side of the door. I love natural light too much to give up the windows, and they are all north-facing so nice indirect light.

You'll want to look into brick veneer which will preserve the look of real brick (because it is real brick) with potentially a lower cost point. The HOA is wise to delineate movable/non-permanent outbuildings from permanent structures and that doesn't seem to be a barrier for you based on your comments.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

13. Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post

I get what you're saying, but in almost all areas, all of those things you mentioned are ALREADY outlawed by zoning laws or noise ordinance laws, etc. HOAs are awful, if you GAVE me a house in an HOA free and clear, I would burn it to the ground and walk away just to spite all the pretentious neighbors.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-28-2017 at 4:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Shelley View Post
    I get what you're saying, but in almost all areas, all of those things you mentioned are ALREADY outlawed by zoning laws or noise ordinance laws, etc. HOAs are awful, if you GAVE me a house in an HOA free and clear, I would burn it to the ground and walk away just to spite all the pretentious neighbors.
    Not surprising. It's easy to destroy that in which we have nothing invested.

I'd probably pretentiously donate the house to a charity.

Thomas,

Sounds like you have a fairly reasonable HOA. Glad you're able to find a workable compromise!

Good luck with your project.

Peter