Thread: newest saw blade

newest saw blade

Silly little story, but I thought some might enjoy it.

The wife just called. She is at a thrift store and was excited that she found me a saw blade. What kind of blade I ask. "12 inch red one." What kind? " It says Diablo on the side, and it has 40 teeth" Does it look all dinged up? " It looks nice, the color is all there." How about the teeth, do they look chipped or burned? "It is in a package, but the teeth look real good, they are all a nice brown color." That is pitch from burning through the wood, how much do they want for it? "Two dollars." Thanks for thinking of me, go ahead and buy it sweetie.

I have had a good run of luck lately. Who knows, it might turn out to be an old Freud Diablo, rather than the HD brand. Just thought I would share. She's a keeper, isn't she?

To be continued when she gets home.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

For two bucks...even if it's a little dirty, a quick sharpening may be less than buying a new blade and having a spare or a "throw away for construction work" handy isn't a terrible thing. I've always kept the original blade for my miter saw up on a shelf to use for "nasty work" as well as to have an out if for some reason my good blade gets damaged.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, she is home.

The saw blade is a Freud Diablo, 12" 44 tooth, made in Italy. Looks like it has had hard use in a chop saw, the burn marks on the side of the blade go all the way to the flange. No tooth damage. Looks like it will be worth sharpening. As Jim says, it will be a good blade when I cut construction lumber up for the trash, etc.

Oh yeah, she got it for $1.20.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

you can't lose for those prices..And you have a good wife....
    Jerry

Does she have a sister?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    ..........She's a keeper, isn't she?.........
    Absolutely
    Cheers.

Tim

My wife does the same. She swears she gets bored when I talk shop but I think she really likes it. Anyway, if she's out and stops at a garage sale she'll FaceTime me and show me what she's looking at. When I get a random FaceTime call I hope it's about a tool purchase but most of the time it's my 4 year old daughter having a meltdown and hoping I can help. Lol

LOML made a few garage sale purchases for me that were best described as overpriced scrap.

One day I walked in (she was gone), to find a lighty rusted Stanley #2 plane on the table.

She said it was the only tool at the sale, they had found it in the attic......$2.00

Ed

A good friend and fellow woodworker experienced the same thing as the 2 dollar #2. His wife was out garage shopping a few years back and came home with a Stanley #2 for a couple of dollars. I am still waiting.

Definitely a keeper and you handled that perfectly!

11. Boy - you have GOT to love a wife like that. Mine is always on the look out for tools for me at barn and garage sales.