Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool rest for reaching 10+ inches away from the post?

Robust will also make you one special order, ask for offset tool rest, I turn big bowls with mine up to 24 inches in diameter. He will quote a price, it was priced right to. I am very happy with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bachtel View Post
    Robust will also make you one special order, ask for offset tool rest, I turn big bowls with mine up to 24 inches in diameter. He will quote a price, it was priced right to. I am very happy with mine.
    Great to know, William! I like Robust's tool rests and have their 12" straight, 15" straight, outside curve, inside curve, 14" j-bar and 9" j-bar.

What are the dimensions of the special order offset tool rest that you find most useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    I had to go and look at that toolrest, I think my left J rest does very much what his does, and with the curve is easier to use in a smaller bottom, wider one I’d have to move the rest to cover a wider piece, with the Zapeda you won’t be able to get close to the bottom of a rounded bottom bowl, I suppose there is no perfect one that covers all.

The T bat I’m thinking about would have U that can rotate in the end, a gouge would sit in there captured more or less, so it would not fall of the rest, just allan that might never see the light of day.

The bowl is a Manitoba Maple (Acer negundo) root burl, it was quite a job getting that to the stage in that picture, before that it looked like this,

Attachment 368428 Attachment 368430 Attachment 368432
    With voids like that, how fast do you have to spin it to get decently smooth cutting action?
    Last edited by Chris Gunsolley; 09-23-2017 at 9:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gunsolley View Post
    Dale,

Great ideas for the j-bar design! If you're not going to make them and sell them yourself, I really wish you would forward this idea to the major manufacturers. (Robust would be nice. Oneway might be willing to make them and makes very fine, heavy duty rests when they do.)

I think your point on incorporating the stop at the end of the j-bar is fantastic. At least it would tame your nerves when working near the tip, and this can go a long ways in keeping yourself calm and controlled through the duration of an entire turning session.

Also, interesting detailed analysis of what could happen if the tool were to slip off the end. I've had it slip off the end before, but I wasn't forceful at that moment, which fortunately kept things under control. My experience was that I simply saw that once your tool accidentally kisses the other side of the bowl, it simply doesn't cut. Thankfully, I've dodged the disaster you've mentioned, but again, I was being very light on it at the moment and perhaps I got lucky. This doesn't happen any more, because these experiences taught me to no longer go all the way to the tip of the j-bar. So, that shortens the length of that flat portion I can use when it's already short. Great ideas for adding stability as well. Once we're designing rests specifically for reaching deep, the standards for the stock used have to change.

By "captured system," you simply mean one with the stop at the end so that your tool is 'captured', correct?

Chris,

The design of the J-bar I made is a Chris Ramsey inspired design. Chris is the person that pointed out the need for the stop at the end.

By 'Captured System' I am referring something along the lines of a Jameson, Sinner, or Elbow type system. Something that prevents the handle end of the tool from being lifted by the downward force of the cutting action.

I have hollowed end grain vessels up to 20" deep with hand held tooling using a hook tool. But, the overall length of the tool was nearly six feet and the bar was 1-3/8" diameter. Even with that much length there was a lot of abuse delivered to my shoulder. Been there, done that, will use a Steve Sinner type system next time.

Back to the subject of deep bowls; A 10" deep bowl with average proportions would be about 20" to 30" in diameter. Those proportions would allow the use of long J-bar rests and long handled bottom grind gouges. But the chance of a mishap that deep into a bowl makes their use at least borderline unsafe. A stout captured system reduces the chance of a mishap and injury. The largest bowls I have ever turned were in the 18" to 20" diameter range about 6" deep.

Wow, Olaf! Doesn't look like that would budge! What are the dimensions of the tubing, and the type of steel (if you have it)?

Also, what do you use the holes for?

I think I'd better go ahead and make a blacksmith friend of my own...

Its 2x2x28. Mild steel. The post is 1.5" with gussets for stability. Its pretty solid. And heavy, ~ 30 lbs.
    The holes are for pins, similar to metal spinning. You can see one at the right

Once I'm far enough inside a bowl / hollow form, I don't want my hand in there. And at 8+" over the tool rest, your hand has very little ability to control the tip accurately.
    So pegs go in the holes and I work off the peg, in increments. With a long handle (i.e 48" pipe), I get extremely precise control over the tip. The pegs are NOT for leverage.

My last couple of pieces were 32" platters with lots of voids. By hand, there's no way to keep the chisel tip steady.
    Last edited by Olaf Vogel; 09-24-2017 at 9:52 AM.

Do you have his contact info? I would like to order a couple also. Thanks<lynn

Quote Originally Posted by lynn cranmer View Post
    Do you have his contact info? I would like to order a couple also. Thanks<lynn
    Lynn, I'm glad to help!

zepeda.thomas@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Miner View Post
    Chris,

The design of the J-bar I made is a Chris Ramsey inspired design. Chris is the person that pointed out the need for the stop at the end.

By 'Captured System' I am referring something along the lines of a Jameson, Sinner, or Elbow type system. Something that prevents the handle end of the tool from being lifted by the downward force of the cutting action.

I have hollowed end grain vessels up to 20" deep with hand held tooling using a hook tool. But, the overall length of the tool was nearly six feet and the bar was 1-3/8" diameter. Even with that much length there was a lot of abuse delivered to my shoulder. Been there, done that, will use a Steve Sinner type system next time.

Back to the subject of deep bowls; A 10" deep bowl with average proportions would be about 20" to 30" in diameter. Those proportions would allow the use of long J-bar rests and long handled bottom grind gouges. But the chance of a mishap that deep into a bowl makes their use at least borderline unsafe. A stout captured system reduces the chance of a mishap and injury. The largest bowls I have ever turned were in the 18" to 20" diameter range about 6" deep.
    I wasn't even aware of captured systems, and this appears to be exactly what I need. Are they all $400+?

With voids like that, how fast do you have to spin it to get decently smooth cutting action?
    The problem with very large pieces of wood is that you can’t rotate it fast or it will fly apart, I don’t remember the exact speeds used, started with 33 RPM and maybe got up to 200 rpm as the fastest speed, which would be more than 50 MPH on the outside surface, too fast for anything as weak as this really, so maybe it was 150 RPM.
    Have fun and take care

It is a 15 inch overall tool rest, the post is set at 6 inch, leaving 9 inches to go into the bowl, not 7.5 inches. Has min vibration, and stays away from my banjo. I have an American Beauty. I ready love this tool rest, use it all the time. I have one on both lathes.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I took action on this. I replaced the stock banjo on my 3520b with a Oneway banjo, bought a Oneway 11-1/2" curved interior tool rest, and Tom Zepeda's 2 largest offset tool rests. I'll let you guys know what I think of Tom's tool rests.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Try this on for size. Tom Zepada makes a specialized offset tool rest for reaching into the bottom of bowls.............here is a youtube video where he demonstrates it. You can order if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYEOJ5ayF-0
    Roger,

I just want to thank you for mentioning Tom's offset tool rests to me. I ordered the two that have the furthest reach. One has a 6-inch rest, the other has an 8-inch rest. My thought was that I want the furthest reaching one for sure, as it will stretch my horizons and offer possibilities that the others wouldn't. Still, there will probably be times when the 8-inch rest is too wide to fit into the space that I want it to, so I'd better get the long reaching one with the 6" rest as well. I figured the tool rests I already have work just fine for anything shallower than as far as those two extend.
    Last edited by Chris Gunsolley; 09-28-2017 at 9:37 PM.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gunsolley View Post
    Roger,

I just want to thank you for mentioning Tom's offset tool rests to me. I ordered the two that have the furthest reach. One has a 6-inch rest, the other has an 8-inch rest. My thought was that I want the furthest reaching one for sure, as it will stretch my horizons and offer possibilities that the others wouldn't. Still, there will probably be times when the 8-inch rest is too wide to fit into the space that I want it to, so I'd better get the long reaching one with the 6" rest as well. I figured the tool rests I already have work just fine for anything shallower than as far as those two extend.
    You are most welcome, Chris. I think I am going to get Tom to make me a 6" version. I know Tom, and actually turned on his Serious SL2542 at the Virginia Symposium last year. he has also demo-ed at our club, and lives about an hour away from me.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    You are most welcome, Chris. I think I am going to get Tom to make me a 6" version. I know Tom, and actually turned on his Serious SL2542 at the Virginia Symposium last year. he has also demo-ed at our club, and lives about an hour away from me.
    Do you have the one with the 8" rest and 8 1/2" extension (that has an overall reach of 11 1/4")?

15. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gunsolley View Post
    Do you have the one with the 8" rest and 8 1/2" extension (that has an overall reach of 11 1/4")?
    No, but I think the 6" with the 8.5 extenson will do whatever I need.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!