Thread: Calling all female turners!

Calling all female turners!

Hi ladies, I am looking for a new jacket/smock to wear when turning. Does anyone know where I might get a slightly more feminine smock? In colour and style? All the ones that I have been able to locate are usually a darkish green or blue, occasionally maroon but rarely anything lighter in colour. Any thoughts?

Robyn,
    If you contact the Southwest Missouri Turners group there is a gal that custom makes smocks that are really nice. I'm told you can get a custom fit and I assume she would make it in whatever fabric you wanted. I'm sorry I don't know her name but the secretary of the club can help you.

Not feminine I'm afraid but Lee Valley sells a light coloured one. Good luck in your search.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I just went with the men's model, but if you have a uniform store near you, you might try a medical scrub jacket. Though you may want to add something at the neckline to keep shavings out...
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Alvarado View Post
    I just went with the men's model, but if you have a uniform store near you, you might try a medical scrub jacket. Though you may want to add something at the neckline to keep shavings out...
    I found some lightweight disposable jackets, the same as my dentist and staff wear. Made of a non-woven soft paper that almost looks woven, soft neck band keeps shavings out, long sleeves with cuffs. The paper "fabric" tore away when I tested it but the sleeves can easily be cut short. These were cheap: I paid $7.50 for five.

I see they are currently unavailable on Amazon but probably available elsewhere and I'm sure there are others available very much like them.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00664T014

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Not feminine I'm afraid but Lee Valley sells a light coloured one. Good luck in your search.
    True - not feminine but I have found it to be fairly slimming.

Seriously, this is a well made product.
    RD

Not a female, but what I found was located at Wally World last spring as a close out product. They were hooded nylon (I think) windbreakers. They were listed for about $29.95, but I got a coule of them for $5. AfterI cut the hood off and modified the collar with the sewing machine I had a usable and confortable smock. I would think that someone with more sewing skills than me could add a femenine style with little effort. I hate to pay the high prices for what I've seen on the market.

Jay Mullins

I went Goodwill and purchased two wind breaker jackets which are very nice for turning only $5.