Thread: hard maple color

hard maple color

I have some hard maple that's full of worm runs in the sap wood. I'd like to use a finish that will keep the maple as light as possible. I doubt the little bowl will be used for food, mostly a change bowl on the dresser I assume so I'm not worried about food safe. I know that tung oil, Danish oil and walnut oil will darken the wood. How about WOP for keeping the little bowl as white as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    I have some hard maple that's full of worm runs in the sap wood. I'd like to use a finish that will keep the maple as light as possible. I doubt the little bowl will be used for food, mostly a change bowl on the dresser I assume so I'm not worried about food safe. I know that tung oil, Danish oil and walnut oil will darken the wood. How about WOP for keeping the little bowl as white as possible?
    In my experience lacquer is pretty good about not darkening wood in general. However, I've never used it on sugar maple.

JKJ

Either lacquer or one of the water based finishes. Some of those are crystal clear. Lacquer is pretty clear, but like water, it will bring out a bit of amber on sugar maple.

Left click my name for homepage link.

In addition to lacquer, I've used General's High Performance Polyurethane Water Based Topcoat with good success on maple but YMMV. If you have a local Woodcraft, they may let you try it on a scrap.

Be sure to check the Features tab on the page linked below.

https://generalfinishes.com/retail-p...t#.WcQprUpSxR4
    RD

I use a lot of lacquer and several brands. To keep the white I would use SW CAB acrylic lacquer with vinyl sealer. As a bonus it has UV inhibitor added. Its the best I've used in retaining woods natural color.

Dumping change into a bowl every day would be rough on any finish. I think poly might hold up better than lacquer. Just another consideration.
    Larry