Thread: NAme of this drawer setup?

Blog Entries

NAme of this drawer setup?

Making kitchen cabinets..

this is currently our 'pantry cabinet'
    the drawers are able to be taken out along with the slides and put at a different height to accommodate different uses and items.

is this the best way to make them again?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mike waters; 09-21-2017 at 8:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike waters View Post
    Making kitchen cabinets..

this is currently our 'pantry cabinet'
    the drawers are able to be taken out along with the slides and put at a different height to accommodate different uses and items.

is this the best way to make them again?
    i do a similar thing but make up maple strips, bore line holes (two rows 32mm apart and about every two inches) and they work as both build outs, and allow the user to adjust the height of the slides. I use 5mm holes and 5mm system screws.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Here is what I am talking about..
    Andrew J. Coholic

I guess you have to decide how important it is to move things up and down. After most people have stocked their pantry the first time, that is pretty much how it stays forever. If that is the case, I prefer slides. You have to decide now what height to set them, but that decision will come eventually anyway so might as well do it now. There are lots of fancy hardware options for pantries too. Lee Valley has some and Hafele has some very nice units as well. (https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/cate...system/1052232) They are expensive, but you only have to mount one or two of them after you build the box. The method shown or Andrew's are cheaper, so if cost is driving this I think you are on the right track.

Based on the photos, that's actually a relatively easy thing to setup. The cabinet-mounted slides just go on a piece of wood that snuggly fits into the recesses front and rear. Those recesses just have to be milled in logical order so you can easily move the slides up and down. Should be easy to do. This is somewhat reminiscent of a traditional shelf support method where movable supports fit into keyed strips to the side of a cabinet or built-in. Since it's unlikely that anyone is going to change the spacing with frequency, the fit should stay tight for a very long time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use QuikTray pilasters for folks who want adjustable pantry rollouts.
    -Lud

Much easier for folks to view when properly rotated:
    Last edited by scott vroom; 09-23-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I'm with Brad...once you get them set up the way you want them you'll likely not want to change them.

When I build a pantry for someone I ask them to put all the bottles/boxes/containers etc on a counter and group them the way they want to store them. Then it's a simple matter of measuring heights and spacing drawers accordingly. But if you want to retain flexibility to chage drawer positioning your idea of moving your sliders up or down will work fine.

I do pantries this-a-way, with Blum undermounts:
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I don't know.. we've done hundreds of kitchens and people do ask to reposition trays.
    I try and space them out the way I think will be best but sometimes they need to load up the new cabinets to decide what's going where.

I figure we have to make build outs anyhow (always from wood) do this way isn't more work and does offer easy adjustment not leaving unsightly holes in the interiors from removed screws.
    Andrew J. Coholic