Thread: Wood glue for cold temps

Wood glue for cold temps

Need to glue up the top part of a pair of wood crutches . The brad nail on the dowel rods, that the top armpit part of the wood crutch rests on; that nail broke. Ordering a new set of wood crutches , but need to make a repair that will last in the meantime. Since cold weather is not far down the road, is there a wood glue that will keep it's bond after it has cured, once air temps are below 32 Degrees?

Clarence,

Is there a joint or does the dowel just butt up against the crosspiece? If the dowel just butts against the crosspiece, I would have to suggest that you rent a crutch for a week or whatever it takes for the replacement to arrive.

Since I don't know your specific repair job, I can only answer in generalities. In general, if the glue will be joining bare wood (no previous adhesive) then Titebond should be fine. If the wood does have previous adhesive, scrape off the old adhesive as best you can and use a two-part epoxy.

Doug

Epoxy might work. It'll slow it down quite a bit. None of the yellow or white glues will work in those temps. Most conk out at about 55F. I've used West System in temps below 50F and it works good. Not sure how much lower it would work in.

I can't imagine you don't have room in a warm space to glue up a crutch. It can sit in a corner for an hour and it's done.

If the repair is done above about 55F, Titebond III or any common wood glue will work fine regardless of the temp. afterwards.

John

Your common glues work fine. It is the temperature for doing the repair and curing that matters. It's a smallish job so glue up while watching TV and leave it beside the bed overnight. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If the repair is done above about 55F, Titebond III or any common wood glue will work fine regardless of the temp. afterwards.

John
    +1

just what he said
    Carpe Lignum