Thread: Particulate Filter

Particulate Filter

In the thread about the new Axminster face shield a 3M unit was suggested that uses P100 cartridge filters. I see they filter down to .3 microns. I thought the magic target for dust collection was .1 micron. Maybe there isn't one that filters down to .1?

http://blog.pksafety.com/what-does-p100-mean/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    In the thread about the new Axminster face shield a 3M unit was suggested that uses P100 cartridge filters. I see they filter down to .3 microns. I thought the magic target for dust collection was .1 micron. Maybe there isn't one that filters down to .1?
    I can't see on the Bill Pentz site details about the 3M P100 particulate filter except he says he bought the 3M 7500 respirator and p-series filters. I was under the impression that the P100 filters were the best you could get for particle filtering. I've purchased a variety of respirators and filters and the better ones all say something like " NIOSH 42 CFR 84 P100 approved "

From the 3M documentation they say "provides a minimum of 99.97 filter efficiency...Tested against particles approximately 0.3 micron in size (mass median aerodynamic diameter) per 42 CFR 84." Two things: One, I can't see where 3M offers a filter with better particle filtering than the P100, and two, the "tested against 0.3 micron" particle size does not say it doesn't filter finer particles but indicates the testing methodology presumably specified in the . Perhaps you can get some enlightenment from the testing specifications. Or perhaps contact 3M and ask them.

I did not read the entire 42 CFR 54 document so perhaps it sheds some light on this. A quick glance seems to indicate what you suspected that the P100 is the best filter described by the spec: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topi.../pt84abs2.html

I personally like the 3M half-mask respirators since they are lightweight, comfortable, seal well, and have almost no resistance to air movement with two P100 filters. I have some others, including the Elipse with different looking (and more expensive) filters but they also claim to be made to the same spec. I am particularly sensitive to certain types of wood dust but with the 3M respirator with the P100 filters I can't detect any issues. I also have a Trend powered respirator/face shield but I think the 3M P100 filters work better so I never use the Trend.

The best solution, of course, is to collect as much of the dust as possible so not much gets to the respirator. I use a 5hp ClearVue cyclone at the lathe and elsewhere which is amazing in the dust it picks up when sanding on the lathe. I use a Dylos laser-based particle monitor (as recommended by Pentz) to keep track of the overall level of dust pollution in my shop while working.

Perhaps someone who has researched this extensively will enlighten all of us.

JKJ

I use an N95 mask with purge valve, and while it isn't as good as a P100, I am surprised that when I'm working with an aromatic wood such a red cedar, that I can't smell the cedar with the mask on but when I take it off I get assaulted with the pleasant odor. I haven't tried the same thing with a cedar chest though. So I don't know if it means that the cedar oils are large enough that the mask captures them or if I'm smelling the oil on larger particles that are suspended in the air.

That's interesting Brice. I remember asking some time ago the question, "If I smell the wood, does that mean I'm getting dust particles too?" The answer was no as I recall.

Yes Dave, I found it surprising. But I don't know if it means that when I took off the mask and smelled the cedar, if it was because I was breathing in suspended wood particles and that is how it was carried into my nose - - or if the particles were that large.

I suppose that if I had a cedar chest I could put on the mask and stick my head in the chest. But I don't have a cedar chest. It would be an interesting experiment....