Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asphalt to Metal Roof

Asphalt to Metal Roof

Live in East Central Florida, well on each of the past 2 hurricanes we have lost shingles and we were not even hit by the full force of the wind.

Roof is 4 years old, yet shingles come off, dunno if it is poor installation or just a fact of life with shingles.

Thinking about switching to a Metal Roof, from what I read they can withstand 120-130mph and have a lifetime warranty. Was looking at the metal roof shaped to look like a "tile" roof.

My house is 2 story with about 8K sq feet, if I remove the 2nd story sq ft of 1500 that puts me at about 6500sq ft of roof + some sq ft for the soffit over hang.

First quote came in, wants to lay metal roof over existing shingles and will cost 80-90K!!! I had a budget in mind of 30-35...

He said if that is in the ball park he will work up a formal quote.

OMG that seems like a lot of money for not removing the existing roof and just laying metal sheets down.

Obviously, getting roof quotes now is tough, nobody has time but I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience with Metal Roofs, cost per sq foot or something to go on. I've called another company and hope to find a third to make sure.

Most of the roofers buy the pans from a manufacturor. There are still some old school guys who make their own. That type usually needs to be kept painted since they don't have the baked on finish. But you might save money.

Is it Copper?

For $90k you should be able to get one of those Tesla roofs that is supposed to be indestructible, plus it will power your house.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a roofer, but I found and interesting article by a roofing manufacturer that you might want to read. Apparently the building codes in Florida are fairly specific about requirements. Metal roof over shingles.

For that level of cost I would get several quotes and references. Also check with the BBB to see if there are any complaints. With the recent damage in Florida it there is lots of price gouging.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-22-2017 at 6:48 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Spotorno View Post
    Was looking at the metal roof shaped to look like a "tile" roof.

Can you give us a link to the specific roofing system you are talking about?

I hate to break it to you, but for a metal roof, you will be closer to his estimate than to yours.

While using the square footage of your first floor is a good starting point, you have need to consider that your roof is pitched. The steeper the slope, the greater the area. Also, the more complex your roof line, the more difficult it gets.

We had a standing seam metal roof put on our 1600 sq ft house last year. If I remember correctly we were are 20-24 squares (2000 - 2400 sq ft--we have a steep pitch and a covered porch) with a non complex roof line and not a lot of special flashing. For a tear off and replace we were at ~$15k--which is the mid point bid (I think the range was 12K-17K). Given you are at 3-4x my roof, $60K would not be an unreasonable number. Given that you are in an area that just got hammered by a 2 hurricanes, all roofers will be raising their prices.

The general rule of thumb I got from several builder friends that a metal roof would be 2x -3x the price of an asphalt one.

I would sincerely recommend long run steel sheet roofing rather than metal tiles in a hurricane zone. It's fixing is far superior, the sheets add strength to the roof, thete are less gaps for wind driven rain and it will be cheaper to install as well. I would strip off your old shingles, lay reflective foil and battens, and use the correct screw spacing for the wind rating. In cyclonic zones here we screw into every rib on edges and every second rib in the rest of the sheets. Cheers

Researching possible home build and looking at standing seam metal - - it is locally quoted at ~2.5X traditional composite.

No experience with these, but just saw them at a local home show - - Onduvilla ...Might be a good match for Hurricane zones??

The demo of their wind rating is impressive. Cosmetically, they're a little like a standing seam metal roof. It is very large shingle (vs. traditional composite) but is screwed down, so manufacturer said the installation speed is comparable to composite - and typically 20% higher cost. He also made sure that I knew this is NOT the Ondura product. We walked around the corner and a roofing contractor had a booth - offering the Onduvilla shingle as option - he swagged a price comparable to standing seam metal. Not a great deal of color choice, and have no idea how code enforcement views them.

Adder: One thing to keep in mind about metal is its durability. But that is a double edged sword - - upside is that it survives a hail storm with no leaks and isn't 'compromised' structurally. So, insurance company doesn't need to pay to replace it. Downside ... you are stuck with a roof that looks like it was on a firing range.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 09-23-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spell it right!

The quotes I got for my workshop was for 60 squares. The highest was $94,000 and the lowest was $42,500. I went with the lowest which was for a snap-lock with no exposed fasteners, 30 lb underlayment, and even included 10 Velux skylight. That was quite a range. The high was without the skylights and they were going to use gutter coil metal. That probably made labor costs higher but the material costs much lower and the baked on finish probably not as good.

Look at the economic dynamics that are happening. Harvey, Irma, Maria...are all going to make costs go up for EVERYTHING construction wise.
    Then there is the fact of labor--it too will cost more as there will be more work than bodies.
    The trades will be able to charge more because they will be necessary.
    Funny how things work out isn't it.
    My $0.02

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

I have a standing seam steel roof installed 15 years ago (a bit before my time in the place, so I don't know the cost). Over the 12 years I've been here, we've had several hurricanes pass through with no problems other than a modest leak during one visitation around a chimney flashing. Roof had a 50 year guarantee, so fixing the flashing came with no change and they also did a good job replacing a bit of soggy dry wall. No further problems with the flashing or the dry wall through Matthew last year and this year's lovely Irma. In Irma we had winds measured just across the river at 110 knots, with gusts of 125. For the roof, the worst result was a LOT of leaves, Spanish Moss and branches to push off and dirt to hose off. In our neighborhood, there were lots of shingles and a couple of entire roofs blown off. That doesn't count the damage of falling trees. Much worse than Matthew last year.
    Last edited by James Waldron; 09-24-2017 at 8:05 AM.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I'm a contractor near Kansas City so my cost basis is a bit different from yours I'd imagine. Given recent events in your area expect a price increase. Some may consider it gouging and some of it might really be. But the reality is the insurance companies will keep Cost in lline if it's Insurance work. Some of it's just supply and demand at work.

All that said based on the size of your home but not knowing the true roof dimensions it's hard to comment specifically. The cost that your roofer quoted seems in line with what I would expect for a stone coated steel roof laid over an existing asphalt shingle roof for a home of your size. I'm assuming you were looking at stone coated steel when you say tile look.

As others have pointed out standing seam is another option.

In any event, spend the money and have your old roof torn off. It is the proper and best practice. If you're going to invest sizably in replacing your roof it does not make sense to save a few dollars and go over your existing roof. Don't buy in to the arguments for leaving it on.

My advice would be to wait a year or two for market conditions to die down if the current damage is minor. Do not hire a storm chaser. They will not be around to service the roof later. Find a good local company or two that specifically deal in the type of roof that you want. Check references, look at the insurance certificate, and don't hire solely based on price.

Think I would go to the supplier of the metal roof products, price the material, and get directions for installing. Then if it didn't look really difficult, would do it myself.

WE had to replace our roof earlier this year. 48 Square with lots of valleys. Just over $15K for asphalt. We inquired about going metal and were advised that it would be about 3 X the price. Thrift won.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    . If you're going to invest sizably in replacing your roof it does not make sense to save a few dollars and go over your existing roof. Don't buy in to the arguments for leaving it on.
    This might sound facetious, but what about the 'gravity works' arguement? Just seems logical that a heavier roof would be harder for wind to blow off...

note I said "seems"
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle