Thread: Clamp for Basement Support Pole

Clamp for Basement Support Pole

Hi Folks,

A couple of years ago we moved to a new place. I located my shop in the basement. I'm able to get all my tools in a nice compact layout, which works great for how I use my shop. With this layout, I hadn't been able to find a good spot for my parrot vice, so the vice wasn't being used. But when I was in the shop the other day, it hit me. I could mount the vice on the 4 or 5" load bearing support pole standing off to one side of my shop. I mainly use the parrot vice for support guitar necks and the like while I shape or work on them, so I shouldn't disturb the pole much when using the vice. When I don't need the vice, I could slide it up the pole out the way. But to make this work, I need some sort of clamp/table similar to what is found on a drill press. I've done some searching on the internet, but I haven't been able to locate anything. Has anyone done something similar or know where I might find a clamp/table? I could certainly make something out of hardwood, but I'd like to see if any metal options are out there.

Many thanks.

Ken

Ken, I just happened to see your post. This may help. I have just used all thread bent around the post like a muffler clamp. The all thread get a good bite on the post and you can use more than one if needed.
    Jim

Lally columns are often 3" diameter. You can get muffler type clamps that size (McMaster has them). Replace the nuts with star knobs and it would probably work for what you want.

You could buy a expensive iron saddle tee and use a short nipple in the outlet to attach the vise.
    Bill

You could buy pipe clamps that fasten pipe to building.

Blog Entries
    Take a look at Clamping Two-Piece Shaft Collars They come is a wide selection of sizes. You may also want Quick-Release Shaft Collar Handles.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-25-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was traveling, and didn't take time to check in on this thread until this evening. I'm liking Lee's idea the best. Should allow me to adjust height and slide it up out of the way pretty quickly. Thanks! Maybe when I get it setup, I'll post a pic of the completed setup.

Thanks again everyone for the ideas.

Ken