Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supporting cast member the tablesaw

My opinion on contractor saw is from my experience with a Delta contractor saw. I had many issues with accuracy with the contractor saw, some were undoubtedly my fault but after getting a Grizzly cabinet saw many of my problem went away. For segmented work I would suggest a cabinet saw or a combine miter saw(chop saw).
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    For many turners their table saw becomes a costly table .
    I thought that is why it's called a "table" saw........

I'll agree that a cabinet saw is not needed tor turning purposes, but if you do make other things, then a good table saw is a requirement, (or more expensive sliders) and since a cabinet saw and contractor saw take up the same physical floor space, the dust collection afforded by the cabinet saw is a plus. I do own a 52" 5 horse Sawstop. Awesome saw, if you're thinking of going that way. It really does double as a table, since I am space limited. I put a plywood top on it and bingo! A workbench.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I thought that is why it's called a "table" saw........

I'll agree that a cabinet saw is not needed tor turning purposes, but if you do make other things, then a good table saw is a requirement, (or more expensive sliders) and since a cabinet saw and contractor saw take up the same physical floor space, the dust collection afforded by the cabinet saw is a plus. I do own a 52" 5 horse Sawstop. Awesome saw, if you're thinking of going that way. It really does double as a table, since I am space limited. I put a plywood top on it and bingo! A workbench.
    I generally agree except for the space required by a contractor saw. To me the contractor saw is meant to be portable and while in theory it could have the same footprint as a cabinet saw it is generally a smaller machine with limited capacity. Many also have very functional rolling stands that lend flexibility to small shops. My Bosch had what they call a "gravity rise stand" that let me tilt the saw on end and roll it against the wall.

But you're right - a good cabinet saw is far and away a superior machine in many respects. I like my little hybrid saw but I really miss the PM-66 I had years ago. Of course I also really miss the shop space I had years ago!
    RD

I cut the tip off my thumb with a standard table saw, I saw the light and bought a contractor saw stop. I should have done this sooner this was my second accident in two years. Just buy the saw stop!!!! Yes you do need a TS for turning or other woodworking!

Curious - as an owner, what are your feelings about the quality of the Saw Stop?
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Curious - as an owner, what are your feelings about the quality of the Saw Stop?
    Not even considering the brake feature, the saw is top notch. I can place a penny on edge on the fence, start the saw, cut wood, turn the saw off, and the penny will stay there. A dime does fall over. It's the best saw I've ever owned or used. Not counting sliders, which is a different class of saw. I do not think the saw will disappoint you. Worth every dollar I spent and I haven't and hope to never trip that brake.