Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where the heck and I going to put all this stuff?

Where the heck and I going to put all this stuff?

My new shop area is going to be small.
    9'X16'.
    And only a little over 6' high after I put the wood floor in.
    Hopefully, next week if Lowe's ever delivers my lumber
    That will be ok for me to move but eliminates storage above my head

And I have a LOT of stuff over and above woodworking equipment.

Speaking of the wood floor...
    It will be 3/4" exterior plywood on PT 2X4 on dirt with a visqueen cover over the dirt.

I was going to put a deck or stair paint.

Light or dark?

Not included in the 16' is a 5' metal framed work bench at one end.
    Was thinking to put cabinets and drawers under the top.
    Open to suggestions on sizes and mix of drawers to cabinets and sizes.

Also have a 4' wooden work bench at that end on the other side of the building.
    I thought to put a shelf on the bottom of that to put things that come in cases like saws, drills, etc.

I am putting up a 13' long dividing wall which I was thinking about two shelves up high with, maybe 1' between.
    Is 12" enough to be useful?
    Also, would you cover that wall with drywall?
    I need that wall to separate the bays.

The exterior wall has a 4' bolt bin, 8' of pegboard and I need to leave the rest of the room there for my stove.
    I have a Warm Morning pot belly stove to put at that end.

As far as big stuff, I have a fold up Dewalt table saw, Craftsman radial arm saw and a metal office desk that I'm putting on wheels to use the top as an outfeed/work table the drawers for storage and the leg area for storage.
    I have scads of hand tools and the drill press and miter saw are on the above wooden bench

Thanks, in advance for any and all suggestions.

I almost need to design this like a tiny home.

Check out Peter Millard on Youtube, he has a very small efficient shop, one of his videos is a shop tour.

I will.
    Thanks, Doug

8'x16'?? Scrap the ras and metal desk. No need for outfeed beyond fold up rollers.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks, Mike.

Worth considering

Here's the Peter Millard video I was referring to earlier but wasn't able to link to it just came up in my recommended videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce_gMwIQQsk&t=4s

I found and watched that one last night.

Scrap the ras
    I never had one before or used one.

What tasks might I be giving up that are best done with one?
    Last edited by Larry Foster; 09-24-2017 at 8:45 PM. Reason: another question

A radial arm saw was one of my first power tools, I bought mine in the late 70's and I used it as my only saw until about 10 years ago. Today I have a table saw that replaces it for most cuts but I still use it regularly. It's better than a table saw for cross cutting long boards (but a miter saw is just as good), I don't but have heard many use it for cross dados when making bookshelves from plywood or MDF (but a router with a guide is probably just as good). I work with driftwood sometimes and use it to flatten slabs for benches or table tops (you can do that with a router and jig). It can cut miters including compound miters but a miter saw is probably better. It's one of the most versatile saws but is not necessarily the best at any one task.

Thanks for all that info, Doug.

My miter saw is not a slider.
    I don't have to make a decision, yet, on whether to keep or get rid of mine.

Making a little progress on building the area.
    Got the knee wall under the exterior wall, today, that I tore out to replace the pushed foundation wall and got the dirt floor mostly cleaned of rocks and debris.
    Next is run the rototiller to knock down the hums to lever so I can put the wood floor framing in.

With luck, that will be done by Friday because I don't have the next two days to work on it.

3/4" pressure treated plywood is really heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post
    Thanks for all that info, Doug.

My miter saw is not a slider.
    I don't have to make a decision, yet, on whether to keep or get rid of mine.

Making a little progress on building the area.
    Got the knee wall under the exterior wall, today, that I tore out to replace the pushed foundation wall and got the dirt floor mostly cleaned of rocks and debris.
    Next is run the rototiller to knock down the hums to lever so I can put the wood floor framing in.

With luck, that will be done by Friday because I don't have the next two days to work on it.

3/4" pressure treated plywood is really heavy!
    I hope you plan on tamping after tilling. Your sleepers may end up sinking randomly.

Thanks for that advice.
    It's really, really hard packed.
    My rototiller can, barely, knock the humps off.
    Although I'd like to go down some, I may end up just leveling a little.

If I can manhandle the plywood myself, I hope to have the floor done this weekend.
    (Can't work on it Saturday )

I'm starting to think about walls and was hoping to get your thoughts on organizing, specifically, pegboard for organizing.
    Right now, I have about an 8' section but not finding it that efficient for organizing a lot of stuff.

Makes things easy to see but seems to take a lot of space for a, relatively, small amount of tools.

If I understand that wall correctly, I would make it workbench height, and maybe a bit wider, to use as an outfeed table, set benchtop tools on, etc.

I would also consider making everything I could serve double duty. A low cabinet could have a flip up door with a router in it, for example. Another example would be a swing out small router table on the drill press tube. Maybe check out some of those flip top tool stands, that type of thing.

I am helping a friend set up a shop in very little space, and he would love to have your setup, but not possible for his situation.

Rick Potter
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks for those tips, Rick.
    The wall that, currently, has the particle board is the exterior wall and the particle board has been there for some time.

It stops, guessing, 24-30" above the floor.
    I do have a stationary workbench at one end of the room.
    Another 4' bench near that bench is the present home to my drill press, belt sander and miter saw.

I'm putting everything I can on wheels.

I think your suggestion to put things against that wall makes sense.

Once I get the floor and walls together, I'll put up a pic which will make it easier to envision.

As I progress at a snail's pace ( due to life's many distractions), I keep thinking about the subject of the OP title.

As always, I would appreciate thoughts and suggestions.

At one end of the area, I have a bench with the frame made of angle iron.
    Between the top and a bottom shelf I have an opening that is approx. 5' wide and 22" high.

My thought is to stuff that with drawers.
    I could get 2 18" wide cabinets on each end and a 24" in the middle.

And for drawer depth, perhaps a 12" deep on the bottom of each and 2 5" in each.

I haven't figured out what all I will put in here but am sure I can fill it.

Would you do something like this?

Edit:
    I may build this as one unit so it will slide right in

Thanks
    Last edited by Larry Foster; 10-01-2017 at 8:52 AM. Reason: Additional info