Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dremel jumping into the laser engraver market

Mine probably 25 years old and still works great, now I said that it will probably die next time I use It
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Nothing worng with rebranding the Muse, probably means there will be support outside the USA via Dremel.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

First, there is absolutely nothing wrong with rebranding, commonly called private labeling. It's an old and common practice and usually done quite responsibly. In the low volume world of laser manufacturing it may be the only way to enter the business and make use of a brand name or marketing expertise.

Second, I have never found Dremel tools to be "crap". They are what I would call hobbyist tools. Mine have always functioned as designed and I use my old corded unit quite often. They have been a reliable and economical version of some quite expensive tools sometimes selling at 10 times the price.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 09-26-2017 at 8:37 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Dremel is to me like Black and Decker- they make good stuff and some not so good stuff. I have a Dremel multi-tool kit that's the bomb, works great- I also have a tiny dremel rotary tool that will barely sand fingernails. I have some OLD B&D tools that won't die, I have a battery powered kit that works great- I also had a B&D undercounter coffee maker that would've burned our boat down if we'd left the boat for 2 minutes to walk the dog, and then there's that handheld battery powered cheese grater with no useful purpose other than as a gag gift...

Rebranding? one word: Kenmore

Dishwashers: Whirlpool, Bosch, Samsung
    Cooking: Frigidaire, LG
    Washers Dryers: Whirlpool, LG
    Refrigerators: Electrolux, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, LG
    Vacuums: Panasonic, TTI, Eureka, PhoneMate, Cleva
    Room AC: Frigidaire, LG

I don't think Kenmore ever manufactured anything... Which back on topic, I have to ask: Does Full Spectrum actually mfr the Muse?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Dremel is to me like Black and Decker- they make good stuff and some not so good stuff. I have a Dremel multi-tool kit that's the bomb, works great- I also have a tiny dremel rotary tool that will barely sand fingernails. I have some OLD B&D tools that won't die, I have a battery powered kit that works great- I also had a B&D undercounter coffee maker that would've burned our boat down if we'd left the boat for 2 minutes to walk the dog, and then there's that handheld battery powered cheese grater with no useful purpose other than as a gag gift...

Rebranding? one word: Kenmore

Dishwashers: Whirlpool, Bosch, Samsung
    Cooking: Frigidaire, LG
    Washers Dryers: Whirlpool, LG
    Refrigerators: Electrolux, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, LG
    Vacuums: Panasonic, TTI, Eureka, PhoneMate, Cleva
    Room AC: Frigidaire, LG

I don't think Kenmore ever manufactured anything... Which back on topic, I have to ask: Does Full Spectrum actually mfr the Muse?
    Kenmore actually owned Whirlpool back in the 70's I don't know if they ever sold it.

the muse is assembled here thats all
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I don't mind rebranding, as long as the support is worth the added cost of the machine.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Having retired from the appliance industry I have a fairly good knowledge of private labeling for both Sears and Montgomery Ward. I called on both and marketed private label products in all appliance categories. (we sold Sears over a billion dollars worth of appliances annually)

For what it's worth, we also sold to and bought from, most of the other appliance manufacturers private label products.

Sears never owned Whirlpool. But they were and maybe, still are, their dominant customer.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

From their facebook page:

"We are proud to be a partner of Dremel. They are working in conjunction with Full Spectrum Laser to create a truly perfect pairing of Dremel's 85 years of making user friendly tools and FSL's 10 years of laser engineering!

we're actually not licensing this to Dremel, Dremel has teamed with us to create a truly remarkable machine. This has a few major differences to Muse, including cooling, user interface, and software... They are also UL compliant! For more info be sure to check out their website dremel.com

That box essentially takes the place of the chiller and air compressor. We will be offering a similar product very soon."

Take that for what you will, sounds like there will be SOME differences. Probably just skins in the software and maybe some pre-installed shapes or something. I doubt they'd rewrite the motion control software in any way. Who knows, maybe they'll try to compete with the Glowforge by adding the amazing "ultra slow engraving" mode

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    Who knows, maybe they'll try to compete with the Glowforge by adding the amazing "ultra slow engraving" mode
    That made me chuckle. I was reading some posts on their forum and someone was engraving a 9" tall by 18" long piece and it took 3 hours
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

If it has anything to do with FSL its a good Idea to stay away.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

What made ME chuckle was "...and they're also UL compliant!"

well THAT'S a relief !!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers