Thread: Folk Art Classes

Folk Art Classes

I'm an avid woodturner and the wife loves to knit and crochet. Does anyone know of a Folk Art school which offers 2/3 day classes/workshops in these areas that we could both take advantage of? Any advice or input would be appreciated.

Tim, check out John C. Campbell Folk School, they have a variety of classes and some are just for a weekend. If you want some first-hand info, contact John Keeton as he is a regular instructor there - even has a class coming up in 2 weeks, one in January, etc.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 09-23-2017 at 5:30 PM. Reason: have to learn how to spell Tim/not Tom
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve-----I did check it out and it sounds appealing.

Tim, seriously, check with John. I know he and his wife took classes there - she is into quilting - and they both loved it. After that he checked into becoming an instructor there and has been booked ever since!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I think folk techniques and materials would be better to study than folk art ,as so much of the folk style stuff is churned out copies. I think genuine ,as opposed to feigned, eccentricity is the key for folk art. Miles Carpenter 's work is worth looking at ,highly imaginative stuff. I think most of the succesful folk artists "go Hollywood" after tasting success and then the collectors only want the "early stuff".

Actually, "Folk Schools" are not so much about teaching "folk art" as most people think about it. They are more about preserving and teaching craftsman and artisan techniques that include both traditional as well as contemporary craft and art. John C. Campbell Folk School teaches classes all year long, including both 5 day, 6 day and weekend classes. Each week there will classes in a dozen or more mediums/subjects each in a separate, well equipped studio. Student attendance will average 90-120 per week. Great venue, beautiful setting, excellent food and unique learning experiences.

As Steve noted, my wife and I have taken several classes there in a variety of subjects and we love our times there. The opportunity to teach there is icing on the cake. I get to meet some great folks in a non-competitive environment and I am always amazed when I see what folks produce - not just in the turning classes, but in all the mediums. Attend once and it will change your life. There is a reason why folks keep going back, taking multiple classes over the years, in a variety of mediums.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks so much John. In looking at the possible class offerings it looks like we will be heading your way in late January for a couple of three day classes. We've requested a catalog and are excited about this opportunity.

Tim, you will really enjoy the Folk School. I take at least one class per year. We call it summer camp for adults.
    Joe

Thanks Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Tim, check out John C. Campbell Folk School, they have a variety of classes and some are just for a weekend. If you want some first-hand info, contact John Keeton as he is a regular instructor there - even has a class coming up in 2 weeks, one in January, etc.
    I agree with JCC. I've assisted with teaching and taken several courses there. One of the joys is walking around and visiting the non-woodturning areas like the fiber arts. I was fascinated by the needle felting, the things made with yarn and other fibers, the blacksmithing, pottery, carving, paper art - everything! ACC

You could also check other places - I've been to are Arrowmont school and Appalachian School for Craft, both in TN. You can find them and their course offerings online. I didn't see specific knitting and crocheting when there but there may be at times and all certainly have other fiber arts courses that she may like.

Hey, does your wife spin fiber into yarn? I raise llamas and alpacas and shearing once a year gives me a huge amount of fiber. (If you ever drive through east TN look me up and I'll send you home with some - you and I can play on the lathes!) I know lots of people who knit and crochet who have gotten interested in spinning. I've been to a local hand-spinning guild (club) where 20 or more people bring spinning wheels, spin, exchange ideas, help each other, buy and sell roving and yarn, and show off their knitting and such.

I'm not very good at it yet but I have several spinning wheels and have learned to knit. I want to show visiting kids: here's the alpaca, here's the fleece, this is the roving, here is the spinning wheel and the yarn, and here is the hat! So many kids don't have a clue, some probably because their parents haven't been exposed to these things.

FarmDay2017_IMG_20170617_113107_141.jpg

JKJ

Thanks John