Thread: Rust Hunt Mysteries

Question Rust Hunt Mysteries

Barn Sale the other day....$5 for a few items..
    sand pack.jpg
    Not much of a mystery here, other than how long these will last..
    drills.jpg
    A compass with no name, A Drill will a partial Millers Falls label on the wheel, and "Made in Germany" on the chuck.
    The "Yankee" has a fluted handle, is marked as a Craftsman, handle no selector ( and never did) and has the spring assist. No other markings.

The Yankee is a mystery....the eggbeater I think I have figured out. Any clues?

Does that Yankee-type screwdriver have a knurled collar? Try and see if it turns. Millers Falls made a couple of different designs of Yankee-type drivers, one design using a knurled collar with no obvious indicator for direction; you just turned it one way or t'other until you got the ratcheting you wanted.

Thank you! It does indeed. Now, IF I can just get that tip out.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Thank you! It does indeed. Now, IF I can just get that tip out.....
    I think you have to pull the knurled barrel on the tip back toward the hand to release the bit.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

PUlled it all the way back...tip never moved, just plain rusted in place right now.....

Rusted-in screwdriver tips on Yankee-type drivers can be right frustrating. There's a tab that moves back under spring pressure when you pull the collar back; if that's frozen by rust, the shank won't move. And then the shank is a slip fit in the collet, so it can be frozen in place by what you might call frictional rust. Good luck!

PBBlaster will be soaking, today. Due to all the Maple on my bench right now.....re-rusting things might have to wait a few....

I've got a little eggbeater that has Made in Germany on it. No other markings that I can find. Nice little solid drill. Perhaps the chuck on yours was a replacement.

Millers Falls did make a few drills in Germany....chuck has a very faint outline of the Millers falls logo......Seems to be a decent drill. There IS a number cast into the frame....a "113"? right between the drive gear and the spindle for the chuck.

Soaked the screwdriver tip in PBlaster all day...nada. Everything else seems to work on it. First one I have seen with a fluted handle.....maybe an option from Sears?

Three days of soaking in the "Blaster"...nada. Not sure what is going on in there. Might just let it be. For some reason, that "chuck" has been ground to except a wrench....hmmm?