Thread: Old 60's Dewalt RAS question

Old 60's Dewalt RAS question

Thinking of buying one of the old 9" ones w the crinkley green finish and all cast iron arm. $100 , no base.

It's an hour from me, I will be deciding from photos.

My question is - Is there any common problem with these to be concerned about that is not readily fixable?

Like some fancy machined part that can fail that causes a real $$ problem ?

I do not know yet if it sat in Grandads shop for 50+ years, or was tossed around by a traveling carpenter... photos should tell me that.

I will not buy it unless very clean.

Any comments on what to be concerned about on these particular models ?

Also, owner said he used 10" blades w guard in place, do 10" fit ??

I'll look at OWWM, but wanted to ask you guys.

Thank you all, Marc

Round arm or square arm? MBC, MBF, 925 or one of the G models? Pictures would be nice. I have run 9" blades on 8" saws, and I imagine you could get a 10" blade on a 9" saw, but I have found the smaller DeWalts are somewhat underpowered (especially the earlier 8" models) and sticking with the original blade size is usually best.

Generally unless badly abused, they are bulletproof and reasonably easy to rebuild and restore. The bigger DeWalts can have worn out guide ways in the rear of the arm from long hours of cross cutting narrow stock, but that's not as big a problem on the smaller saws, usually. I have restored and subsequently sold (or given away) four of the smaller ones; I would like to have another one but I'm out of room and my 12" Delta does everything I need it to do.

Lots of info on OWWM and Vintage Machinery.