Thread: eBay Delivery

eBay Delivery

On the PNW trip the portable bench worked well and I had almost all the tools needed, not bad for a proof of concept trial. Once home waiting for me at the local USPS office was a box of Boxwood handled Marple chisels, most were firmers. I'm missing a 5/8" and a 3/4" for a full set of Marple firmer chisels. The chisels are in good shape but.....damn that but, the UK sellers sure do like their belt sanders to make the chisels pretty for selling. I spent almost an hour on the back of the 1" chisel last night and I still have some more to go before it is flat. I'd pay twice as much if they would forget the dressing up for the sell.

Anyway here is a photo of the Marple chisels on hand. Now to find some where to keep 'em. For now the only answer is some of the little used chisels will have to go in a box or drawer and the Marple chisels will take their place in the back of bench chisel till.

marplesChisels170921dscf2026.jpg

I would like to end up with a full set of Marple's Boxwood handled firmer and beveled edge chisels and a selected set of their paring chisels but I'm not sure I have the patience for the chase.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    [edited]

I would like to end up with a full set of Marple's Boxwood handled firmer and beveled edge chisels and a selected set of their paring chisels but I'm not sure I have the patience for the chase.

ken
    My web surfing still occasionally looks at ebay auctions for the various sizes missing from my Buck Brothers set of socket pairing chisels. Funny is one of the sizes missing is 1/4". My 1/4" tang or my 1/4" firmer Buck Brothers chisels just aren't the same. The most common chisel size in my accumulation is most likely 1/4". Funny if a good one comes along it tempts me to take it home.

Stopped at a yard garage sale today. The guy had a box of chisels. Most of it was abused, junk or a combination of the two. One rusty chisel with a bend near the end was picked up. My questioning gaze brought a smile to his face. "You know what that is?" My reply was, "soft steel." He laughed and we talked a bit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My web surfing still occasionally looks at ebay auctions for the various sizes missing from my Buck Brothers set of socket pairing chisels. Funny is one of the sizes missing is 1/4". My 1/4" tang or my 1/4" firmer Buck Brothers chisels just aren't the same. The most common chisel size in my accumulation is most likely 1/4". Funny if a good one comes along it tempts me to take it home.

Stopped at a yard garage sale today. The guy had a box of chisels. Most of it was abused, junk or a combination of the two. One rusty chisel with a bend near the end was picked up. My questioning gaze brought a smile to his face. "You know what that is?" My reply was, "soft steel." He laughed and we talked a bit.

jtk
    Jim,

Yeah, I have little time or patience for the chase so it has to be something I would really like to have and then knowing what work will be needed to make the item useable. Most of the time it ain't worth the trouble. Good luck finding your 1/4" Buck Brothers.

ken

Blog Entries
    Good luck finding your 1/4" Buck Brothers.
    Thanks Ken, a few have come up, just nothing to get me to pull the trigger as yet. Besides, with about a dozen 1/4" chisels around the shop there isn't a big need, just desire.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Nice homecoming surprise. I'm curious though . . . . what role does the fly swatter play in your restoration protocol?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ken,

Yes nice homecoming surprise!

Jim and Ken, I am slowly getting like both of you. I spend too much time looking for stuff I don't have, then usually buy something at a bargain price that needs too much restoration. On a back saw I bought a while back I may have saved $40 on the top, most likely, and probably actually less and maybe quit a bit less than that. I will probably save $2 per hour, when I consider how much I will actually save and how much time I put in restoring it. I am beginning to think it make a whole lot more sense to buy one that will take a lot less restoration and spend a few bucks more.

Also, it takes too much time to look for stuff on the auction site.

Congrats on the Chisels, and I hope both of you find the missing chisels.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Nice homecoming surprise. I'm curious though . . . . what role does the fly swatter play in your restoration protocol?
    Glenn,

I'm too old and slow to jabe 'em with the 1/16" chisel .

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

Yes nice homecoming surprise!

Jim and Ken, I am slowly getting like both of you. I spend too much time looking for stuff I don't have, then usually buy something at a bargain price that needs too much restoration. On a back saw I bought a while back I may have saved $40 on the top, most likely, and probably actually less and maybe quit a bit less than that. I will probably save $2 per hour, when I consider how much I will actually save and how much time I put in restoring it. I am beginning to think it make a whole lot more sense to buy one that will take a lot less restoration and spend a few bucks more.

Also, it takes too much time to look for stuff on the auction site.

Congrats on the Chisels, and I hope both of you find the missing chisels.

Stew
    Stew,

I have feelers out with a couple of reputable dealers so I expect in time I'll find the missing chisels without the hassle of eBay. Costs more but worth it.

ken

Ken,

If you forget about being too old and slow to jab one with a 1/16" chisel and decide to give it a go one more time, just make sure it isn't one that has landed on your left hand.

Speaking of your fly swatter, it looks like it could use a little restoration. We rust hunters, and there seem to be quite a few of us on this bulletin board for some odd reason, seem to be really into restoration of woodworking tools. I don't see that there is much on the other forums about restoring the stuff with tails, such as belt sanders, but you know a lot of stuff shows up on this forum about restoring chisels, saws, and planes.

HOWEVER I haven't seen anything on fly swatter restoration, and this seems like as good a time as any, so this is my experience on fly swatter restoration. I have a fly swatter at work that I keep near my desk, that was brought it from home several years ago. It got broken last Thursday or Friday, but the good news was the fly ended up dead. What I was going to advise you is that I restored the fly swatter, and used what we here in the Texas pan handle refer to as "Duck Tape." Worked great.

Some folk here in the Texas panhandle seem to have a little of "red neck" tendencies, at least folk seem to imply that we do. Not sure why, but folks seem to think so. I can say this though, there is a lot of stuff, and especially farm equipment, both here and in western Kansas where I grew up, that has been fixed, at least temporarily, with baling wire and duck tape. I don't recommend using either of those, however, for restoring planes, saws, or chisels.

If restoring power tools is popular on one of the other forums, I can see the red neck sticky now "I restored my band saw with duck tape and baling wire." I'm pretty sure that would be a popular and well read sticky.

I am hoping that fly swatter restoration does not hijack this post.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-24-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

Speaking of your fly swatter, it looks like it could use a little restoration. We rust hunters, and there seem to be quite a few of us on this bulletin board for some odd reason, seem to be really into restoration of woodworking tools. I don't see that there is much on the other forums about restoring the stuff with tails, such as belt sanders, but you know a lot of stuff shows up on this forum about restoring chisels, saws, and planes.

HOWEVER I haven't seen anything on fly swatter restoration, and this seems like as good a time as any, so this is my experience on fly swatter restoration. I have a fly swatter at work that I keep near my desk, that was brought it from home several years ago. It got broken last Thursday or Friday, but the good news was the fly ended up dead. What I was going to advise you is that I restored the fly swatter, and used what we here in the Texas pan handle refer to as "Duck Tape." Worked great.

Some folk here in the Texas panhandle seem to have a little of "red neck" tendencies, at least folk seem to imply that we do. Not sure why, but folks seem to think so. I can say this though, there is a lot of stuff, and especially farm equipment, both here and in western Kansas where I grew up, that has been fixed, at least temporarily, with baling wire and duck tape. I don't recommend using either of those, however, for restoring planes, saws, or chisels.

If restoring power tools is popular on one of the other forums, I can see the red neck sticky now "I restored my band saw with duck tape and baling wire."

I am hoping that fly swatter restoration does not hijack this post.

Stew
    Stew,

In my profession we call it "100 mph tape".

I think I've posted before about fixing a horizontal stabilizer with it....Whatever here goes once more . Many years ago on a flight from KSLC to KLAS we encountered heavy icing, so heavy a hunk of ice broke off and hit the horizontal stabilizer near it's root and moved the leading edge back close to 6". after landing I found some thin aluminum, shaped it, and used '100 MPH tape' to hold it in place. It worked well enough to get the plane back to KSLC for repair. It should do the job on a fly swatter.

BTW, I'm with you, give a Texas farm boy some bailing wire and 100 mph tape and most anything is fixable.

ken