Thread: Greene and Greene inspired coffee table

Greene and Greene inspired coffee table

I've admired G&G style for many years, but lived in a house where furniture of that style just wouldn't have looked good. A couple of years ago we moved and our current house is a better match for G&G. We also needed a new coffee table so it was time to give it a shot.

African mahogany with ebony splines and plugs. I dyed the mahogany with Peart's suggested mix of General Finishes orange and medium brown. I added a bolection style (raised) inlay in opposite corners of the top, after a similar design on the Blacker house dining table. The inlay is Pau abalone, silver, and copper. Finished with 5-6 coats of Waterlox satin.

I really enjoyed making this table. I'd never worked with any of the woods or materials before, never used hide glue on a project before, never used Waterlox before. Had to learn how to cut shells and bend silver. I also had to learn how to do the raised inlays. I pretty much had to inlay into a finished wood surface since leveling and sanding after setting the pieces was out of the question. Cutting grooves and recesses for the inlayed parts into a finished surface with little room for error was an adventure, but worth it. I love the feel of running my fingers over the inlayed parts.

IMG_0283.jpgIMG_0285.jpgIMG_0288.jpgIMG_0291.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks like a great success to me. Well done and congrats on a good selection of firsts.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Gary,
    Very nicely done sir. My work, both architectural and furniture, has been greatly influenced by the Green brothers. I had the "honor" to live in the Gamble House for a semester while attending Architectural School at USC. I am also a fan of Waterlox.
    Thanks for posting - Bill

Nicely done!

Very nice indeed. Did you finish the bread board ends separately from the field? I ask because my friend built a dining table with bread board ends and the finish (not Waterlox, but I don't think it matters) cracked along the joint when the field shrank during the Winter

John

Blog Entries
    Looks great!

Why did you opt for hide glue over more traditional glues?

Andrew: with all respect hide glue is THE traditional glue. Many still prefer it over PVAs.

OP: I too love G&G and your table checks all the right boxes for me. Tremendous success!

Very nicely done.

Beautiful wood and work!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Very nice indeed. Did you finish the bread board ends separately from the field? I ask because my friend built a dining table with bread board ends and the finish (not Waterlox, but I don't think it matters) cracked along the joint when the field shrank during the Winter

John
    Yes, all of the individual pieces were finished before assembly and allowed to cure for at least a week. I then assembled the base, and inlayed the top. Then added the breadboard ends and the splines.
    The breadboard was made with a tenon on the top and groove/mortise on the end. It is glued in the center 4 inches, and screwed at the ends in slotted holes to allow for seasonal expansion. The screw holes are covered by the rectangular ebony plugs. The square plugs and center spline are decorative.

The finish did get scuffed a bit in places during assembly so I need to go back for some touch-up work, but I ran out of Waterlox. New can arrives tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Looks great!

Why did you opt for hide glue over more traditional glues?
    As Tom mentioned, hide glue is traditional, but it certainly isn't commonly used today. I wanted to stay close to the original methods of the time, and it would have been what the Halls (G&G's furniture makers) would have used in 1910. In addition, I knew I would be gluing up after applying the oil finish. Hide glue squeeze out can be removed with water so clean up was easy without damaging the finish. Finally, hide glue is repairable. If someone down the line needs to fix a joint, it will be easier than with other glues. I'm hopeful that someone, someday, will think that this piece is worth repairing!

WOW! this is quite a beauty. I've always adored G&G. The inlay is just perfect. Not too big & not too small. Gives it just one more thing beyond the G&G details to delight the eyes.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Love G&G and believe you have nailed it! Congratulations
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

This is art...not a table

I think you made a mistake.

This is art and not a table....hoot!

Great job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    WOW! this is quite a beauty. I've always adored G&G. The inlay is just perfect. Not too big & not too small. Gives it just one more thing beyond the G&G details to delight the eyes.

Thanks Michelle, and funny you should mention the size of the inlay. I agonized for a couple of weeks about the dimensions and proportions and did several test inlays on scrap. My first practice inlay was almost twice that size. I showed it to my wife and she liked it on the scrap but when she saw the top she said it was too big. I made one a bit smaller. "Really nice but don't you think they are still too big? I think it should be a nice detail but not be the first thing you notice." I think she was right.