Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It works!

Exclamation It works!

I consider myself a "pragmatic" guy also for woodworking: I avoid complicated joints as I think glues are very strong now-a-days... and if you need anything more, there are screws!

Anyway, yesterday, by the end of the day I was in my woodshop when I asked to myself, "why not to try"?

Well it was my first try on dovetail joint. First use of my Makita Multitool. I used scrap plywood. instead of solid "real" wood. It took me less the 15 minutes, including to square wood in my tablesaw. Just a few strokes of my wood chisel for best fit. No jigs.

I added a picture. Yes, it is not great but considering the above, I am really glad with the results. I am a fan of the craftsman from Paul Sellers but when I saw him in one of his excellent instructional videos in youtube expending more than 40 minutes for a single dovetail joint I really thought it was not for me so I think you can get why I am so excited.

Perhaps it is worth to use that joint in my future projects.

I really cannot understand why I never saw anyone using a multitool for that kind of joint...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 09-24-2017 at 5:20 PM. Reason: typo error

That's pretty nice and tight!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If it works, it works. The wood doesn't know what it was cut with.
    Keep at it.

Id agree. very nice joint for a first attempt. I have to say, I have been in this business for 30 year and have never ever hand cut a dovetail. We have made hundreds if not thousands of dovetail drawers using a leigh jig. If my first hand cut attempt was half that id be proud of myself.

Very nice work.

Good idea Osvaldo. Looks like a good joint. I'll bet your method works even better on the second and third attempts, as you learn to use the tool better.

Fred

Very nice, indeed!

Great idea and they look great.

Blog Entries
    Nice joint work, what blades did you use? Did you cut free hand or did you use guides of some type?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would need to nitpick to complain about that joint. The worst criticism I have is that there is some minor tear-out along the base of the joint. The join looks very tight and nice. I have produced many examples significantly worse than that.

Looks good to me. Show it around some but don't mention how you cut it. Than when you tell them it will be fun. I always like to be told you can't do that that way. I see experiment in the works when I hear that statement.
    Jim

Will it work for half blind dovetails also?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Will it work for half blind dovetails also?
    I have long considered trying this with half blind dovetails, but I never did give it a go. I did, however, recently purchase one of these:

https://www.bontzsawworks.net/half-blind-dovetail-tool/

That is useful for the sides, not for the back portion of the blind.

13. I would love to see a video of you cutting that. I have a Fein Multi Tool just looking for a place to be used!

That joint looks great (ESPECIALLY for a first time, really great).

15. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berklich View Post
    I would love to see a video of you cutting that. I have a Fein Multi Tool just looking for a place to be used!
    Just pulled out the Fein and gave it quick shot with a piece of scrap plywood. Not sure if it's faster better but it's definitely doable and (for me) needs some experimentation and practice. I like it better than a coping saw.

Don't have time now to finish the pins but cutting to the line is quick and easy.

Great idea Osvaldo

image.jpg