Thread: Sjobergs Smart Workstation Pro Vise

Sjobergs Smart Workstation Pro Vise

Anybody have any experience with this? I'm contemplating a purchase. Might be just what I need to get a woodworking vise on the right side of my workbench.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Matarazzo View Post
    Anybody have any experience with this? I'm contemplating a purchase. Might be just what I need to get a woodworking vise on the right side of my workbench.
    Hi Rob,

That looks more like a bench on top of a bench.

By getting a vise on the "right side of my bench" do you mean like a tail vise, or a face vise for a lefty?

Maybe a picture or a description of your current bench would help others understand and be better able to answer your inquiry.

My current bench is a Sjoberg. My only complaint is it could be bigger. The Sjoberg vises have worked well for me. They do rack and my suggestion is to use something on the opposite end of the vise jaws to prevent racking. Here is my solution:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...k-Spacer-Stack

Under my bench there are also a lot of different pieces of wood made to be used as vise spacers.

The Sjoberg vises do seem to have a limited holding capacity. That hasn't kept me from finding ways to hold work.

The other draw back of the Workstation Vise is it might not be the best thing for holding a long piece that needs edge jointing if you are looking for a front vise. If you are looking for a tail vise it wouldn't be good for panels you need to hold on the bench top.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-25-2017 at 2:11 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    If the limited range (primarily made to hold with dogs) and the screw and rod placement work for you, I'm sure it is decently made. The Sjobergs vises have never really rang my bell and for that price you could get better vise hardware and build to suit.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If it is the small, clamp on something vise then avoid it like the plague. The top looks like solid wood. It is actually laminate covered particle board.

Woodcraft had one at a scratch & dent sale. I bought it for $10.00 just for the screw vise hardware. The top is particle board. It is not worth the $240ish asking price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cunningham View Post
    If it is the small, clamp on something vise then avoid it like the plague. The top looks like solid wood. It is actually laminate covered particle board.

Woodcraft had one at a scratch & dent sale. I bought it for $10.00 just for the screw vise hardware. The top is particle board. It is not worth the $240ish asking price.
    My search on this indicated there are two different Sjoberg bench top vises. One is an inexpensive model at ~$150 the other is the $250 model. Neither of them have been viewed by me other than on line.

My thought is buying the vise hardware from a dealer like Lee Valley would be a better deal and a better vise.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Ok, thanks for the advise so far.

Let me elaborate on my situation. My bench is not a proper woodworking bench, but more of a homeowner's general-purpose workbench. I built it 32 years ago following some plans in an old Stanley publication. It's made of two-by-fours and plywood. There's a front vise mounted at the left front position and a metalworking vise at the right front position. I really want a woodworking vise where the metalworking vise is. (The vise at the left end is awkward to use. Not enough clearance there to position my body correctly.) I can't put a front vise at the right end because there's not enough overhang to mount it.

I thought this Sjobergs vise might do the trick, since it can be mounted to the top of the bench.
    Last edited by Rob Matarazzo; 09-26-2017 at 6:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    I thought this Sjobergs vise might do the trick, since it can be mounted to the top of the bench.
    It might provide some functionality to suit your needs.

Sometimes one does have to ponder the thought, especially after 32 years, if maybe starting from scratch might be a better way to a solution.

jtk

I thought I'd post an update on this. I ended up ordering the vise. It seems to do just what I expected of it, so it's all good. A bit pricey IMO, but it is what it is.

IMG_0502.jpg

Blog Entries
    It seems to do just what I expected of it, so it's all good.
    With a little time and imagination you will be surprised by the unexpected things it can do.

jtk