Thread: first bowl worth posting (I think)

first bowl worth posting (I think)

I've built a fair amount of furniture over the years as a hobbyist woodworker. For the past few months I've been playing around with turning things that I hoped might look like a bowl. First few attempts weren't so good, but after some practice and a class at a local WW school I thought this one came out ok. Working on the lathe is a lot of fun and usually pretty gratifying (except for the "catches"). Bottom is walnut with epoxy inlay, top is maple and finial is purpleheart - comments welcome

Thanks,
    Mike

IMG_1559.jpg

Nice job. Did you take at class at NBSS or somewhere else?
    Don

Yes NBSS a few weeks ago, great class

They will just keep getting better. You should be pleased with this one.
    C&C WELCOME

Nice job! They will keep getting better. GO PATS!
    Last edited by kevin nee; 09-25-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lightyears beyond my first bowl.
    Nice job.

thanks ... but this was definitely not bowl #1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post
    ...I've been playing around with turning things that I hoped might look like a bowl....
    I'd say you were successful - not only does it look like a bowl it looks like an actual bowl. Definitely worth posting. Do you have a photo of the inside?

Please post more photos! I talked to a guy recently who said he never let anyone see his work since he was afraid of what they would think. Bah! I regret never even taking a photo of my first bowl. I got started when I bought a cheap lathe just to make one spindle turning for a special purpose but eventually glued up some pieces of oak board and turned a bowl. It was nothing to put in a gallery but it was enough to get me hooked!

If there is a turning club near you it might be worth your time to attend. In fact, even if it's not near - I know some people who drive for over an hour to a club. Some of us do that every month to go to a second club - I think it's well worth the time just to talk to more turners and see what they are doing, see the demos, get critique on my own stuff.

About catches, you will be happy to know that catches disappear as you get better at the tool control. Eventually the only catches you will have are from moments of inattention. And experts say one of the best ways to learn excellent tool control is by turning spindles. More finials!

Hey, do you know about the Beads of Courage project? Woodturners all over the country are making lidded bowls/boxes that are given to kids with serious illnesses. The kids keep strings ceramic beads in them that tell their story. There are some links that tell about it in the response to this message about the project: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...43#post2723343 This is a fantastic way to get some turning practice while adding some cheer to the a child living a nightmare, often with cancer. The kids don't care if it is your 10th or 1000th turning!

Ok, I'm going to sit right here and wait until you post the next picture.

JKJ

I agree with John - more photos would be appreciated!

What are the dimensions? What did you use for a finish?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!