Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Shop (Finally!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Lynch View Post
    Power will be brought in on the wall perpendicular to the garage door. It will be it’s own dedicated service. The electrician is scheduled for next week, weather and building permitting.
    Wow, that's going up fast! Please keep the pictures coming - I'm sure there are a lot of shop construction junkies here like me.

JKJ

More progress. The metal is done except two exterior trim pieces that were miss-measured. The overhead door will be in today. . I got a bid back from the electrician and expect to have all the wiring done by wednesday(of course with the holiday, I probably won’t get service from the electric company till after next weekend).
    ABAE8E8E-1C89-437D-9830-3E230555FB98.jpg2FFCC774-5037-4C12-A758-64419D465593.jpg
    Duc in altum!

More progress. The metal is done except two exterior trim pieces that were miss-measured. The overhead door will be in today. . I got a bid back from the electrician and expect to have all the wiring done by wednesday(of course with the holiday, I probably won’t get service from the electric company till after next weekend).
    ABAE8E8E-1C89-437D-9830-3E230555FB98.jpg2FFCC774-5037-4C12-A758-64419D465593.jpg
    I'll bet you are really excited now! I wonder if others are like me - when I'm putting up a new building going up I like to sit in a chair in the middle and just enjoy the space and imagine what it will look like and the possibilities when it's done and everything is in place.

I've never put up a steel building - are those insulated panels?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I've never put up a steel building - are those insulated panels?
    Yes, that's insulation blanket that includes a vapor barrier. Very common with metal buildings and it's "sandwiched" between the frame and the exterior wall and roof panels.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks great!

Looking great. Plans for interior walls? Will wiring be behind walls if so?

Is it me, or is this the fastest shop build ever?!? I wish the contractors around here moved half as fast as your crews. Great progress in just 2 months!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Is it me, or is this the fastest shop build ever?!? I wish the contractors around here moved half as fast as your crews. Great progress in just 2 months!
    It's the fastest progress I've seen. I'm amazed and a little envious.

My own shop would probably vie for the all time slowest build ever. Of course I was the architect, contractor, heavy equipment operator, delivery man, carpenter crew, concrete prep, electrician, insulation contractor, HVAC installer, security consultant, and accountant. 'Bout wore me out....

JKJ

It's the fastest progress I've seen. I'm amazed and a little envious.

My own shop would probably vie for the all time slowest build ever. Of course I was the architect, contractor, heavy equipment operator, delivery man, carpenter crew, concrete prep, electrician, insulation contractor, HVAC installer, security consultant, and accountant. 'Bout wore me out....

JKJ

Don't forget "Interior Designer" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Don't forget "Interior Designer" ;-)
    Ha - unlike some incredibly stunningly beautiful shops sometimes shown here (hand-rubbed finishes on tool cabinets, everything in its place, how do they find time to DO that?) one look inside my shop and visitors hand me their lawyer's card and suggest I sue the interior designer.

I carved this reminder for my shop:
    chip_mess.jpg

Besides the construction, I also love to see how people have laid out their shops, floor diagrams and photos and especially how they are using it. Jamie's shop is going up so fast maybe he'll have photos with chips and sawdust in short order!

JKJ

I carved this reminder for my shop:
    chip_mess.jpg
    Oh, I so want that sign for my shop...
    Besides the construction, I also love to see how people have laid out their shops, floor diagrams and photos and especially how they are using it. Jamie's shop is going up so fast maybe he'll have photos with chips and sawdust in short order!
    Yea, I'm looking forward to see what he does with it. That frame really lends itself to vertical T&G walls...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sweet shop, I am envious. My HOA dictates that my shop be built out of the same materials and look similar to my house...so I'll be saving for a while longer. Congrats on the new shop!

I’m fortunate enough to have good neighbors and no HOA. The city does dictate that the “Accessory building” fits with the color schemes of the home. Basically they don’t want people putting up neon green buildings.

Wiring is coming along nicely. Conduit is ran and most of the wire pulled. The electrician is starting to terminate. A couple cover plates are back ordered, so inspection won’t be till Monday.
    Duc in altum!

I’ve want something like that for mine.
    Duc in altum!

I’ve want something like that for mine.
    Years ago I had hand-inked a sign to practice my Old English lettering and had it in my messy shop. (I made it up but I'd be surprised if a 1000 other people hadn't as well!) When I took up chip carving I needed something to practice letters so this was my practice piece.

JKJ