Thread: DJ-20 Cutterhead

DJ-20 Cutterhead

I recently bought a Delta DJ-20, which needs some TLC and am in the process of replacing some missing parts. Currently the cutter head (stock from what I can tell) is missing knives, lockbars (holding the knives) and screws. I was going to order some lockbars/screws but I can't see any threads on the cutter head where the screws would thread into. Looking at the schematics online and the manual, I can't tell if the screws should attach the lockbar to the cutterhead or if the screws should only thread through the lockbar and it goes together in some obvious way when you have all the parts in front of you. Before I spend the $ on parts I'd like to figure out if my cutterhead is a write off -- which if that is the case I'll probably just buy a Byrd Shellix.

Thanks.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    The knife gibs- lockbars- are threaded and the bolts are turned to wedge the bars and knives in place in the head. it's important that you have them in the head with the proper orientation i.e.- they should not be able to come out of the head unless the bolts are loose and the knives are removed.

Ok, that is what I thought/hoped. Thanks for confirming.

Also note that the screw heads have a rounded surface to them. This is to prevent the gib& blade from moving as you tighten the screws.

Before ordering new parts, check here and other sites for a used head were poster installed a Byrd.

Likely easier to source either a used straight knife head or a new Byrd. Hardware store screws won't be replacements although Grizzly parts from one of their machines might be. Dave

It looks like the gibs are no longer available from Delta (not a big surprise) so that might make the decision easier. Delta does sell the knives, but they are very expensive compared to Global Tooling or Infinity. Dave's suggestion to see if Grizzly parts would fit is a good one, though you'd want to be certain everything fit right. I hear it's not pretty when you throw a knife. You could also join the Old Woodworking Machines forum and places a wanted ad in the classifieds.
    --Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    The knife gibs- lockbars- are threaded and the bolts are turned to wedge the bars and knives in place in the head. it's important that you have them in the head with the proper orientation i.e.- they should not be able to come out of the head unless the bolts are loose and the knives are removed.
    I installed a Byrd head in my DJ-20 and you can have it, the knives in it, and all the parts including old bearing for the cost of shipping plus $5 for gas to get it to UPS.

PM Me on the site.

Cool, Thanks Steve.

PM Sent.

This right here is why this community is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roxberg View Post
    I installed a Byrd head in my DJ-20 and you can have it, the knives in it, and all the parts including old bearing for the cost of shipping plus $5 for gas to get it to UPS.

PM Me on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roxberg View Post

PM Me on the site.
    Why even drive to UPS? Get large flat rate box from USPS. Box takes up to 75 pounds. Order box online, with postage. Post man drops box off, and picks it up. That's how we ship blades to Dynamic Saw.

Lynn

Steve's offer is extremely generous!!! Wow!

Well done Steve.

If you do decide to go with the Byrd head, make no mistake that those cutterheads are in demand for restoring old jointers and converting the heads from square heads and clamshells, to a safer, more refined, head.
    A 20" Delta head can be machined to fit onto a vintage 12"-16" jointer pretty easily.
    That's a big hint.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Lynn
    A 20" Delta head can be machined to fit onto a vintage 12"-16" jointer pretty easily.
    That's a big hint.
    A DJ-20 is an 8" jointer, so that probably won't work. I'm not sure how they came up with the model numbers for those jointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    A DJ-20 is an 8" jointer, so that probably won't work. I'm not sure how they came up with the model numbers for those jointers.
    That's embarrassing!
    I've been working night shift this past week and I guess I'm getting a little foggy.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Hey Steve,

The jointer head arrived earlier this week, thanks again for your kind offer and taking the time to send it. I'll be sure to put it to good use.