Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Starter" Planer - Which one, or Bad Idea?

My "starter" planer was a Ridgid TP1300. It wound up lasting me 10 years and did everything I wanted it to. I now have a Jet JJP12-HH inch combo machine. I bought it mainly because I needed a 12 inch jointer. The Jet planer is very fast compared to the Rigid and it will accommodate bigger stock. However, it doesn't do quite as well for finish or precision thicknessing as the Ridgid. I regret selling the TP1300, even after 10 years of use. By all accounts, the Dewalt is a better machine, but I don't know what it will do that the TP1300 wouldn't. Unfortunately, Ridgid doesn't make this model anymore.

I've got a very old Parks (early 70's vintage) 12 inch that my dad had (he passed this past Jan). Needs some tender loving care but it actually was used very little. I live in Atlanta if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Yes, thank you Michelle.

The comment that “even girls do it” wasn’t necessary. Not surprising given where it came from.
    I was waiting for Julie Moriarity(sp?) to check in on this. If I recall correctly when it comes to volts, amps and "even girls can do it" she'd win ...... by a LOT.