Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neoprene or Nitrile... and how to weld/fuse/join either of them

Neoprene or Nitrile... and how to weld/fuse/join either of them

I am working on a project where I need to somehow glue or fuse two pieces of ~1/32 rubber. I need to join them because a thin rare earth magnet disc needs to be between them that is completely sealed from potential water exposure.

I have narrowed the potential materials down to neoprene or nitrile. I need a material that is roughly the durometer and elasticity of a rubber band and that is available in more colors than tan/black.

If you have any suggestions about a better material to use, or a way to join them it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    DW

Rubber cement comes to mind. It can seal punctures in car tires, or patch inner tubes.

Blog Entries
    Loctite 404 is used to make o-rings from extruded round rubber.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Not sure about gluing or fusing the two pieces of rubber, but how about coating the magnets in silicone to seal them? Then if the bond in the rubber fails you still have the magnet sealed.

thanks for the responses. The two pieces cannot come apart otherwise the magnets would fall out. The adhesive needs to have a little flexibility to it as the rubber they are glued to are quite flexible.

What about dipping the magnets in the rubber insulating liquids available for tool handles?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

ultimately I would like to coat the two pieces of rubber with X solvent and they melt together... Prob not that easy.

How big are the disks? If not too large, use two tire patches. But as Henry Ford said. "Available in any color as long as it's black."

the magnets don't need to be discs. I am guessing they will be either 1/16" or 1/32" thick. ~.5" dia. The rubber will also be about this thick, or 1/32"

I'd use some Loctite 380 Black Max to glue the pieces together. We use it at work for gluing neoprene to steel. It's quick and easy, just keep your fingers out of the way.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

FLEX SEAL !!!!

JK, I would look into the two Loctite product ideas above. Marc

https://www.google.com/search?q=neop...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I especially liked the "Practical Machinist" threads. Marc

two things I don't think I mentioned/emphasized:
    -The adhesive will have to remain flexible
    -It will have to stay strong through many cycles in a dish washer

The latter is what I am most skeptical about with an adhesive, unless I am underestimating them

Blog Entries
    Gorilla urethane adhesive? I used some of their construction adhesive to re-glue the ceramic mosiac trim ring inside my hot tub. Only readily available adhesive (including silicones) I could find that didn't say "not for continuous immersion". So far, so good after five months in 102 degree water.
    NOW you tell me...

is the urethane adhesive flexible?

Also, how thick/goopy is it? The two pieces I am joining are flat and thin and if the material I am using to join them is thick then the neoprene pieces will probably not stay flat... Just a thought.