Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R moulding plane irons.

H&R moulding plane irons.

I have an upcoming project to make myself a partial set of hollow and round Moulding Planes. Initially I plan to start within the lower range of H&Rs 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2", and if all go's well expand that range to include 3/4" and 1". The wood species being trialed for the main stock including wedges will be rift sawn Snakewood Dellinnia. The following photo's show the recently completed lower range of H&R irons. The initial stages of annealing and later re-hardening the irons were included during this process.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 09-28-2017 at 10:50 PM.

I look forward to this with interest.

Stewie, isn't this backward? Most builds I have seen have the body built first and the blade fitted to it.
    How did you determine the blade shape?
    Just curious as I hope to learn something new here.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Mike; with your depth of experience, its doubtful you will learn much from following my example.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 09-29-2017 at 6:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Stewie,

I'm really looking forward to following your H&R plane build thread! These are tools I wish I would've learned to use earlier in my woodworking experience because of the unique moldings, shapes etc. I don't know how to make any other way.

The biggest barrier for me in learning to use H&R's has always been finding/building/tuning quality planes and irons that work together to produce the desired profiles. I really look forward to hearing about how you made the irons and incorporate them into the bodies. I've always had difficulty getting vintage irons profiled to match the soles of the plane and also holding a decent edge.

Thanks for posting – I look forward to seeing your progress!

Best, Mike

Stewie, I look forward to this thread. I just put some quarter sawn cherry billets in the kiln to finish bring the moisture content down. How does US woods compare to snake wood as far as hardness and workability? I just bought the Larry Williams DVD it has a ton of info. Keep it coming.

Nice work, Stewie!

Is it an optical illusion, or is the grain on that #6 hollow rising a tiny bit from toe to heel?
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-22-2017 at 8:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Mike; with your depth of experience, its doubtful you will learn much from following my example.
    Just don't forget those of us with no experience.

I keep thinking that I should build one, but I lack both time and knowledge to do so.

I'll be watching with interest.

I need to wait for the Skewed Edge Floats to arrive from the U.K, before I progress any further. http://www.phillyplanes.co.uk/floats.html

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 11-01-2017 at 4:30 AM.

While waiting for the skew edge floats to arrive in the mail, I decided to make a start on shaping the soles on the rounds. Once all the rounds have been completed these will be later used to shape the soles on the hollow planes. The Spill Bills that are on order will be used to commence the guide groove that will assist the shaping the hollow sole.

1st up was the 1/4" round. A block plane and a Stanley 66 fitted with the opposing 1/4" hollow iron were the primary tools used to shape this soles 1/4" rounded profile. As I later move onto shaping the soles on the wider rounds, its opposing hollow iron will be fitted to the Stanley 66.

Test run on a hardwood scrap reveals a nice cleanly cut profile.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 11-14-2017 at 2:34 AM.

The soles on the 3 rounds have been shaped.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 11-15-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Man, you do nice work Stewie.