Thread: On track to replace vBulletin?

Blog Entries

On track to replace vBulletin?

Getting tired of having to mark threads as read, something I never had to do before the last upgrade. I recall one post where a new forum engine was scheduled to be on-line by the end of summer. Is that still in the works? Personally I like vBulletin except for the recent changes.
    NOW you tell me...

Ole, it's being worked on, but keep in mind that the "brains" behind the conversion is someone with a busy, full-time university teaching position and he does what he can do when he can do it. Converting the actual forum is pretty easy, but insuring that all the features work as they should and installing non-standard features with testing takes time. It's better to endure a little inconvenience, such as marking things read, than to have a bunch of stuff that's not working right from the start in a new environment. Thanks in advance for your continued patience!

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Greetings,

Xenforo 2 just went into Beta on Sept. 5. Rather than do two major forum upgrades (vBulletin -> xenForo 1 -> xenForo 2), we are waiting for Xenforo 2 to come out of beta. We are also monitoring their bugfix database during that time. Additionally, they only recently released an upgrade/conversion script for their version 2 product. With 14 years of upgrades, SMC is not a "clean conversion", and even vBulletin has bugs with their upgrade scripts from time to time, and that's just for the same software product! Suffice to say, there will be bugs that I will have to resolve and test after the XF2 product comes out of beta. The good news is, XenForo has some good developers, including the original vBulletin developers.

Lastly, and this should probably be a big announcement, we will be redirecting to https://sawmillcreek.org soon, which alone may be a bumpy ride. Progress is progress!
    Last edited by Aaron Koehl; 09-30-2017 at 8:03 PM.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Excerpt from above post by Aaron - This is what is happening in MY posts..
    "clean conversion",

The weird adding of &quot , and other stuff like losing my paragraph seperation if I edit a post, all run together.

Will go soon to see what Editor I am using as suggested in my thread on this problem. Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Excerpt from above post by Aaron - This is what is happening in MY posts..
    "clean conversion",

The weird adding of &quot , and other stuff like losing my paragraph seperation if I edit a post, all run together.

Will go soon to see what Editor I am using as suggested in my thread on this problem. Marc
    Marc, I looked at your settings and you are using the WYSIWYG Enhanced Editor.
    As John Jordan suggested in another thread, try switching to the Standard editor. The WYSIWYG Enhanced Editor has been known to cause problems for some people.

Go to: Settings>General Settings> scroll to: Miscellaneous Options and check the box for: Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls. Make sure to save
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

..... O ... K, will do it manyana.

Hate comp stuff, so different than hands and eyes on shop work where everything makes total sense.

Tail between my legs now, Marc

I should have known better.

FIRST day for months I don't put on my Aluminum foil pants, somebody spies on my wysiwyg.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl View Post
    The good news is, XenForo has some good developers, including the original vBulletin developers.
    XenForo has great developers! Some of the vB team that developed v3.x left to start XF, and it shows with the security in the first release of XF, as well as the nearly endless stream of security patches for vB 4.x and later. From my observations, the development team for vB 4.x and beyond were more interested in bells and whistles than security.

While I am looking forward to the XF migration, having done this to two other websites, I fully understand the need for testing to ensure the change is as smooth as possible while maintaining the database integrity. The only ripple I can remember from a conversion of vB 3 to XF 1.2 was a problem with the password hash table. After the migration, some members had to reset their passwords. This appeared to affect only members who joined before a certain date prior to one of the vB patches.

Great news about the certificate!

Thank You Bruce for the step by step.

Did it last night, we'll see how it goes.

Marc