Thread: Velda's Chair, Elia Bizzarri, and Windsor Chairmaking

Blog Entries

Velda's Chair, Elia Bizzarri, and Windsor Chairmaking

So, not sure that this qualifies as Neanderthal, as there were a few power tools involved, but this project was primarily done using hand tools. What was (is?) cool about it is that it introduced me to a bunch of tools and techniques I had not used before as well as allowing me to practice some that I am more proficient in. Ok, so here's the final, well, assembled, project: Velda's chair, designed by Curtis Buchanan. The crest rail, arms, posts, arm stumps, legs, and stretchers are walnut, the seat is butternut, and the spindles are hickory. The venue was a 3 week Windsor chairmaking workshop at Anderson Ranch, an arts center located in Snowmass Village (Aspen), Colorado:

IMG_1517.jpg

The first order of business was to build shave horses based on the design of Tim Manning (you can find plans in a recent edition of Fine Woodworking). This task was definitely not a Neanderthal one, as we, as a team, knocked these out using the Ranch's amply equipped machine room. The material was the finest framing lumber found at the local lumber yard, most probably Douglas Fir with a couple of bits of maple thrown in. I think we had a pretty able group as these were roughed, machined, and assembled in a day and a half -- 8 shave horses in pretty short time. Here's a pic of Elia final shaping spindles on one of the horses:

20170926-_DSC9918.jpg

Now it was time to put these horses to work! Elia had shipped out riven blanks of green hickory for the spindles of the chair. We learned to use a drawknife to rough the shape of the spindle. What an amazing tool a drawknife is! I had procured a couple of vintage knives off Ebay and spent hours flattening the backs prior to arriving. Elia admired the job I had done and mentioned I probably wasted 99% of my time doing so. Oh well, the knife in question sure looks pretty now. And it cuts well!

Next, we roughed out the blanks for the crest rail, another non-neander task. But that was quickly accomplished, and it was on to bending the spindles and crest rails. We loaded the steam box, fired up the wallpaper steamer, and quickly knocked out bending the spindles. The crest rails, on the other hand, were a bit more problematic with the Ranch being located at 8,200 feet and the ambient temperature in the 60's. Elia, being from North Carolina, wasn't acquainted with the lower boiling point of water at this extreme elevation. Eventually we located a moving blanket that assisted in bringing the temperature of the steam box up to snuff. We also found a compression strap designed by Michael Fortune to replace the simple strap we had quickly fabricated from sheet metal -- the sheet metal being too thin so it tore after the first bend. Bending walnut is a task that was tons of fun and involved everyone in the adventure! Here some of the folk are bending the crest rail:

20170914-_DSC9764.jpg

after which it is placed on a drying form:

20170914-_DSC9766.jpg

We then glued up blanks for the seats from 8/4 butternut. Evidently, it is now hard to find butternut in widths sufficient for a seat blank, so we were back in the machine room gluing up from wide boards (over 11").

Next, we turned the various components. Does using a motor-powered lathe render a task non-Neanderthal? There isn't much (any?) black walnut logs in Colorado, so we were using 8/4 air-dried stock from Pennsylvania. It's best to have straight grain on these parts but more critical for the legs. So we split the leg blanks using an axe and mallet to identify grain direction, sawed the opposing side, and started turning. I used to turn a lot of bowls and had played with spindle turning, but have never had any instruction being introduced to turning in junior high school. It was great to work on technique and creating my parts at the same time! BTW, Anderson Ranch has a extremely well equipped turning studio with a (ho-hum?) lathe, a Vicmarc, an Robust American Beauty, and 4-5 Oneway lathes. No wonder as David Ellsworth teaches here quite often. Here's a pic of Elia sizing tenons on the stretchers using a turner's gate:

20170928-_DSC9926.jpg

Next, it was onto seat layout. We laid out sight lines and centers for the various holes then bored the requisite holes. Most of us used a bit and brace, but a few went for the quicker power drill. A bit and brace is a pretty good tool for this task as it takes longer for something to go wrong. The necessary tools include a square and T-bevel. BTW, a bevel boss is a great tool for setting the required angle on the T-bevel. Next, we tapered the ends of the legs using a taper cutter and turned the shoulders off. Onto reaming the leg holes and checking the resulting rake and splay. I'd never done this before. Here's Elia checking the fit, rake, and splay of the posts:

20170925-_DSC9913.jpg

Onto carving the seat. It's good to have wood that is both strong and easily carved. Hence why the seat is butternut. We used an inshave to hog the wood out:

20170921-_DSC9861.jpg

And a travisher to refine the shape:

20170921-IMG_1494.jpg

I'd never used either tool before and came to appreciate these fine tools. I don't know why they are not more used in woodworking...

Continued in next post...
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-01-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Next, we beveled the front and bottom of the seat. The drawknife is an amazing beveling tool. It's pretty amazing how quickly and, with practice, accurately you can hog waste off to create a bevel. Highly recommended.

20170922-_DSC9867.jpg

With the shaping done, it was onto fitting the back. We reamed the holes for the arm stumps, then measured for the arms. Next, after roughing out the arms on the bandsaw, we created a tenon on the arm and measured for the hole for the arm itself. We drilled the hole (bit and brace for me), and then final shaped the arm creating the bevels with a drawknife and finish shaping with a spoke shave. Next, we reamed the arm hole to attempt (not totally successful in my case) the proper tilt and alignment of the arm.

Using the spokeshave, we finish shaped the spindles and shaped a tenon on the big end with a tenon cutter and a dowel on the top end with a dowel plate. We shaped the crest rail, and laid out the location of the spindle holes, chopped the mortises for the crest rails on the posts, and formed the tenon on the crest rail (with a drawknife). Dry assembly of the posts, crest rail, and spindles allowed us to find the angle of the spindles in the crest rail and we then bored the crest rail mortises to accept the spindles.

What should be apparent to you is that forming the parts is a big component of the chair building process, but fitting and assembly is a very detail oriented portion and it takes a fair bit of time.

Next, we assembled the undercarriage. We identified the location of the front and rear spindles, bored their mortises, and glued them up. Interestingly, as the mortises are so tight, hide glue sets almost instantly, so you have to work fast and pound the stretchers in vigorously. This is not a task for tapping, but for full out beating!

Inserting the front and rear leg assemblies, you can then measure and bore for the side stretchers. And assemble the whole lot. Here's the resulting glued up bottom of the chair:

20170928-_DSC9929.jpg

Onto dry assembly of the back. Here it is:

20170929-IMG_1513.jpg

We had a little mishap coming out of dry assembly. The back was stuck, and we applied a bit too much persuasion to the crest rail in attempting to free it, splitting it in half. A bit of PVA, a couple of hours in the clamps, and it won't be visible.

Our group with the projects at the end of three weeks:

20170929-IMG_1514.jpg

This was a great experience. I learned a lot. Anderson Ranch is a great facility, and it was a spectacular time to be there. I didn't stay in their facilities as I actually have a condo in Snowmass Village, so I can't comment on that. But the Ranch is highly recommended.

Elia Bizzarri is an excellent instructor. He knows how to impart his knowledge to others, and truly enjoys the experience. After, the fact I came out of this with a chair I can be proud of is a testament to him. And I think I can probably finish a few others on my own. After I acquire a few more tools. And some material. Hmm, might be time to go shopping on the internet...

Mike

Its a cool looking chair. What is reasoning behind two different woods.
    Chairs take a lot of work I tried my hand at designing a chair and it came out looking like a giraffe it was horrible.
    I shall consider sticking to a traditional design like yours.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    There are actually three woods: walnut, butternut, and hickory. I believe the reason for the hickory and walnut is contrast: The chair is complimented by the contrast of the dark walnut with the white spindles. Our spindles were not as white as they'd normally be as the hickory spalted in shipment from North Carolina to Colorado.

Butternut is much more suitable for carving a seat than walnut. Hence the reason for that wood.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Excellent!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Fabulous build and I have to say that I'm jealous both of the thought of three weeks in a class and also of the setting (as a CO native son).

Thanks for posting!

Best,
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Nice chair! I have talked to Elia about his classes. He is just a long way from me and I have lots of dogs to watch. Maybe one day. I think two or more woods are frequently used in Windsor chairs because the differences in the hardness and grain help to make the compression joinery work better. Seats are often made of woods with grain that is less apt to split too, like Elm...

Nice post Mike. Great information and use of photos. Enjoy your chair! Thanks.