Thread: Thread chasing information needed

Thread chasing information needed

I'm ready to expand my skills and learn some new techniques and I've decided I'd like to take a crack at thread chasing. Any outstanding videos that I could use as a resource would be wonderful. TIA for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Passmore View Post
    I'm ready to expand my skills and learn some new techniques and I've decided I'd like to take a crack at thread chasing. Any outstanding videos that I could use as a resource would be wonderful. TIA for your assistance.
    I haven't reviewed any videos for excellence, but Mark St Leger has a bit on external threading in this older video clip starting about 2:30.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpr6ZXWM-e0
    Note that this is a "7 minute teaser is from the 93 minute DVD, available through the American Association of Woodturners' website"

I've seen Mark thread several times and he makes it look easy. He likes to hand chase a hollow sphere to make a threaded baseball box. I have his threading tools in two different pitches but have not tried them yet.

I've just started threading a few weeks ago but I use a Baxter jig for now. Before I start on hand chasing I want to get the process down first with the dimensions of both the lid and bottom of a box. These are my first three tries, ebony, no finish, the biggest about 2-1/2" diameter, the others about 1":

threaded_ebony_3_IMG_6755.jpg

JKJ

Tim, if you are looking for videos on hand chasing, Mike Mahoney has an excellent one "Hollow Forms and Urns". This is what inspired me to try hand chasing. One thing I'd recommend if that's the route you want to take is to practice the technique on PVC pipe to get tool presentation and speed down right. I wasn't aware of this and as a result I wasted a lot of expensive hardwoods.
    If threading with a jig is of interest, there are several to choose from. I'm cheap so I made my own. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-lid&highlight=

Tim, do a You-tube search for wood threading videos, you'll find quite a few videos on the subject. A good resource is the Wyoming Woodturner, I can't think of Sam's last name right off hand. Both he and Mike Peace have a few good videos on the subject, a lot of people refer to Sam as one of the best. Now I remember, his last name is Angelo.
    Len
    Last edited by Len Mullin; 10-02-2017 at 8:22 PM.

Thanks John. Your first three pieces look great---as always.

Thanks Richard and Len----I'll check them out.

Thanks, good fun! I've had a bunch of B&W ebony around that I figured I'd better start using - it's pretty safe to thread with the jig, hard to mess things up with careful measurements. You can bet when I start learning thread chasing I'll practice on junk wood and PVC pipe instead of ebony! (PVC is also recommended for learning to cut threads on a metal lathe.)

I also have this crazy idea about turning some little boxes from colored acrylic with threaded lids. Maybe a combo of wood and acrylic I'm not sure how I would polish the inside, though.

Be sure to post your chasing experiences!

JKJ

Allen Batty has one up on You Tube that is exceptional. Best I have seen.
    robo hippy

A few links!

Hand Thread Chasing with Allan Batty (what Reed referred to). Check out their skew video, too.
    Sam Angelo's thread chasing playlist.

Allan Batty, thread chasing

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Allen Batty has one up on You Tube that is exceptional. Best I have seen.
    robo hippy
    This one?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iEd0kD0S4&t=82s

It is good. I had to turn the on the Closed Captioning to understand what he is saying. At first I thought he was speaking some language I heard on Star Wars but then I realized he was just fast and low key.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 10-02-2017 at 1:32 PM.

Thanks Reed, David, and John.

I second Reeds suggestion. I was able to chase threads almost immediately after watching the Allen Batty.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .