Thread: Bandsaw blade breaking?

Bandsaw blade breaking?

Grizzly GO555LX

Laguna Proforce 93 1/2", 1/2" 3tpi hook, both broke not at the weld.

Both new blades. Resawing 4/4 strips in half about 4"s long then roughing out pistol grips.

Set up the Snodgrass way.

Over tensioned? Too few teeth in the cut? I am at a loss. At $29 each this is starting to hurt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well I went to Lowe's and bought a bunch a $10 blades at least I have a stock. I think perhaps I am turning it to tightly cutting the round off the tops.

Perhaps I need to swap blades whe. I start roughing them out due to that curve.

3 tpi 1/2" blade width is good for resawing but for scroll type cuts a smaller width blade with more TPI is best. The tighter radius curve needs a smaller width blade.
    I've never found one blade to be able to do it all.

Man I just didn't think that shallow curve was enough to break the blade but that's what I'm gonna go with. I put on a 1/4" 6tpi Bosch blade. Cuts slower but hasn't broken yet.

I also picked up a few 1/2" 4tpi blades to see how they resaw. The teeth aren't nearly as aggressive as the laguna proforce. But I got 3 blades for the price of 1 laguna.

1/2" 3 tpi is what I use on my 0555LX. Never needed another tooth config. for resawing.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    I have seen charts that say a 1/2" blade can make a 2-1/2" radius cut. I have not had much success cutting that tight a radius with a 1/2" blade without relief cuts. You can change a blade in just a few minutes if you are cutting scales out of a large blank.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    1/2" 3 tpi is what I use on my 0555LX. Never needed another tooth config. for resawing.
    Bill
    It works amazing for resawing. I love it. Just surprised it couldn't handle the shallow round I was trimming off.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have seen charts that say a 1/2" blade can make a 2-1/2" radius cut. I have not had much success cutting that tight a radius with a 1/2" blade without relief cuts. You can change a blade in just a few minutes if you are cutting scales out of a large blank.
    I think that's simply what I'll have to do.

Whelp, my quarter inch Bosch blade just broke.

Looks like my lower thrust bearing is seized. Can a seized bearing cause blades to break?

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Serino View Post
    Whelp, my quarter inch Bosch blade just broke. Looks like my lower thrust bearing is seized. Can a seized bearing cause blades to break?
    Heck yes, without any doubt. We were cutting out guitar body blanks and neck aprts for electric guitars and my shop mate Brian was running my 14 inch walker turner. Bearing siezed and the blade came off big time, broke due to the stress. I think Brian had to clean out his pants afterwards, blade did not want to stop.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    I have seen people use the old 1880&#39;s era band saws without any guards whatsoever...blade breaking one one fo those could be lethal, especially if it was a wider/heavier blade.</p>
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 10-04-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Couldn't find that bearing in town but I got it spinning again. Looked up some causes. Probably a few reasons. Bearings, feed rate maybe, possibly the wheels, and likely over use. I've need running it pretty heavy the last few weeks, hours of resawing and cutting. Probably 5 hours a day for 5 days a week for a few weeks.

ETA: oh and I went ahead and ordered up a Carter upgrade kit and a stabilizer...

If your blade is running too hard on its guide bearings, you will overheat the back edge of the blade and cause breakage. The blade should just barely touch the guide bearing with it running but not cutting. Excessive feed rate will do the same. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I've only broke a few blades on my 14inch bandsaw. I'm pretty sure I pushed them way past the point of sharp.

93 1/2 blades really don't last very long. I mostly use Olsen blades .025 thick anything thicker is just too much for a 14 inch wheel. I also ride the rear bearing on the blade when it's cutting and that hasn't been a problem.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    93 1/2 blades really don't last very long.
    Wow, all these years using bandsaws and I never even considered that. Of course. Fewer teeth have to wear out quicker. I primarily use an 18" saw with 145" or so blade length.

BTW, I can't remember ever breaking a bandsaw blade except one time on my WoodMizer sawmill when I got it jammed in a big pine log. The 15 hp motor kept going when the blade didn't.

JKJ