Thread: Wood Slab Finishing Question

Wood Slab Finishing Question

Hey guys about to start finishing a wood slab (Eastern White Pine) that is 2" thick and is a length 8 feet as a bartop. The bar will be in a detached garage, so it really fluctuates in temps and conditions depending on the time of year up here in upstate NY. My question would be this, I am concerned about wood movement, I have slotted screw holes in the frame to allow for movement during the year. I was thinking of sealing and flood coating the top and edges with a self leveling two part epoxy, and possibly an oil based Spar Urethane on the bottom of the wood slab. My concern is if the epoxy will restrict thewoods movement.Possibly over thinkingthis, but also wanna be sure before I proceed forward.If epoxy is not the way to go, what would youall suggest is the best way to proceed.

Thinking that because of the extreme temp changes, unheated and no AC in the garage, throughout the year, I would be better off going with a stain and poly, or even a Marine Spar Varnish. Let me know what your opinions are, I think the epoxy is probably not the best in this specific situation. Again being a bar top I want something that will be durable, granted the density is only as great as the wood being used, in this case pine, so I know nothing is perfect. Epoxy would be the hardest option, just not sure its the right way to go. Leaning towards a stain/poly or varnish.... Any suggestions.

Waterlox OSF will move with the wood and is very good with liquids.

Jay, I've never used an epoxy coating but when I think of them I picture those I've seen where the epoxy is cracked, and I don't think it would be an easy job to make that look good again.

Polyurethane is easy to apply, and easy to refinish. I'm in a completely different climate, so I can't comment on that part of your concerns. Good luck.

Jay, whatever you use be sure to apply the same finish schedule to ALL sides of the slab. If you only epoxy the top, and do something different on the bottom, SLABS WILL CUP due to the different moisture penetration rates between the different finishes.

Jay ... the good news is Eastern white pine has one of the lowest radial expansion contraction of any wood hard or soft.
    https://www.popularwoodworking.com/t...-and-expansion

A quality clear epoxy would probably be my choice. There are lots of good articles with tricks on application to get that clear finish. Conversion varnishes are typically the most durable but require spraying and are sensitive to going on too thick.

It's a bar top ... aren't they supposed to cup?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius