Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you use as a planing stop?

What do you use as a planing stop?

I've been using an L-shaped piece that I clamp into my leg vise on my Roubo, but I'm tired of having to clamp and unclamp it. Do you use a some piece that fits in dog holes, or use holdfasts or the spiked version like benchcrafted sells? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    I've been using an L-shaped piece that I clamp into my leg vise on my Roubo, but I'm tired of having to clamp and unclamp it. Do you use a some piece that fits in dog holes, or use holdfasts or the spiked version like benchcrafted sells? Something else?
    I use a combination of:
    • Bench dogs. It takes some practice, but it really isn't hard at all to "balance" your work on a bench dog for quickie jobs. Two stops alongside and one at the end provides a secure stop even for heavier work, for that matter.
    • One of the cheap LV mortised pop-up stops.
    • Batten-type stops in both axes for larger work or when traversing.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-02-2017 at 6:47 PM.

3. battens clamped to the bench, for the most part.

I took 3- 5/16x 2 1/2 hanger bolts and mounted them 3inches apart and 4 1/2 inches from the end, on the left end of my bench.
    I took a 10 1/2 x 2 1/2 piece of cherry and slotted it to fit the hanger bolts.
    I move it up and down and hold it with 3 5/16 knobs from Lowes.
    It is the last stop I will ever need and is cheap and quick to build.
    I've had all the others and they always were lacking one way or another.
    Last edited by Bob Leistner; 10-02-2017 at 6:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Piece of wood and four screws.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

6. I process by hand, so a dog and a tail vise. Nothing more annoying for me than having to switch clamping set-ups when switching the direction of planing.

Just some screws, and a few pieces of scrap wood..
    goove jig 1.jpggroovy.jpg

Dog/tail vise. Holdfast & cleat if needs be.

It depends on the work. I cramp larger boards between dog on vise and a bench dog. For smaller work I use plain brass and wooden homemade bench dogs, Veritas low-profile work stop , homemade 1/4" and 1/2" plywood stops, birdsmouth stops for edge planing narrow work, all fit in 3/4" dog holes; holdfast; Veritas surface clamp.

I realize that's a pretty broad response. If you focus your question maybe we can provide a more specific response

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Thomas Runyan View Post
    I process by hand, so a dog and a tail vise. Nothing more annoying for me than having to switch clamping set-ups when switching the direction of planing.
    +1 - end vise (actually a rockler quick release vise with a built in adjustable dog) and a wooden bench dog at the other end. This works fine for me. Easy to release and reclamp if the board needs to be reversed or flipped upside down. If the board is too long for this, then I sometimes resort to a quick release hand clamp and clamp the board down to the bench top. Otherwise I can always plug in the old Ridgid lunchbox planer LOL

Seems I'm in a minority, but I actually use a planing stop

(top left)

1.jpg

One or two drywall screws driven into the bench top.

This is what I use. Link.

I've been experimenting with one like Leistner's, except mine is high-grade plywood. It's been working pretty well.

Bill, when I made mine, I was trying to plane some 1/4" hard maple. I was worried that a plywood edge would break off with that little support. The cherry was just something that I picked up from a scrap bin that looked like it would work. The gentleman that started this post ask about a planing stop and that was what I was replying to, not work holding solutions such as vises and dogs.