Thread: miter saw station from old kitchen base cabinets?

miter saw station from old kitchen base cabinets?

I am moving into a new shop. Thinking about the miter saw...I have access to some used kitchen base cabinets. They are in good shape and there's no top. I can get one 36" and two 30", which is pretty much perfect in terms of length.

I'll obviously have to rig something for the top so that the miter saw is recessed such that its table is flush with the main top. And affix the cabinets to one another. I would probably figure out the best way to add some casters too.

Other than missing out on making my own shop cabinets, is there any reason this is a bad idea? Am I missing something? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Brian

No reason not to use kitchen cabinets as long as the space underneath will be useful storage for you. Take two cabinets and leave a gap between them to recess the saw into.

When we moved to MA, step one was to remodel the kitchen. The old cabinets went to the basement to become workbench. Used them for 6 years and as far as I know, they are still there. Quick, easy, free. What's not to like about them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hulbert View Post
    When we moved to MA, step one was to remodel the kitchen. The old cabinets went to the basement to become workbench. Used them for 6 years and as far as I know, they are still there. Quick, easy, free. What's not to like about them?
    Glad to hear it! That was my thought. Thanks.

As long as the working height is too your liking, there's no reason not to repurpose perfectly usable older cabinets, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...