Thread: Small tool gloat ... and fun ...

Small tool gloat ... and fun ...

SWMBO finally broke down and bought me a Mini Jet for our anniversary. She ended up with a diamond/emerald ring, but I feel it's an even trade. Turning on this machine is so much more fun than on the old ShopSmith I've been used to. Set up the stand (free this month) and mounted the lathe. The bed level is much better than the lower SS also. Plugged it in, turned it on and, WOW, I could hardly hear it running, no vibration and I could actually hear the radio on in the background. I have never been able to hear it (I keep it kinda low anyway) with the SS running. My first ventures on it have been a few pens. The difference is astounding. I actually get very smooth cuts on this machine. I was a little frustrated with the SS because I never could get smooth cuts and felt it was my technique. Not so, it turns out. I feel much better now. Anyway, here are a few of the pens I've done so far. The plastic one's are material Scott Greaves sent to me some time ago and I was afraid to try on the SS. They turned great on the Jet! Thanks Scott! I'm looking forward to doing some more lidded boxes on this machine. They should be even more fun. Thanks for looking, be safe and have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Nice gloat

What great looking pens too. Congratulations on your wonderful present. It is the gift that won't "turn" around and bite you, but will always keep you "spinning".

Ok sorry, really "gouging" humor but I am trying to hide my jealousy.

Noah

Beautiful pens Ron!!!!
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Thumbs up

Ron,

Nice looking pens. You are becoming quite a turner between your bowls and pens. I've done maybe 3 dozen pens which I enjoy doing but I'm not going to be a turner I like the flat work to much.
    Life Sure Is Great! Enjoy It.

Hey Ron,

Nice pens! Isn't that Jet Mini a great little machine! It should be perfect for turning boxes. You are going to have some fun with this!

That plastic did turn out pretty nice! :-)

Scott.

Congrats

Hey Ron -

Congratulations on the new machine. My ShopSmith serves as my lathe. Don't use it all that much, but guys like you with their new toys sure temp me.

I know you will enjoy your anniversary present!

Ted

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Once Bitten

Great looking pens !!!
    You are really in trouble now. In another six months (or maybe less) you will also be shopping for something like a Jet 1236 or larger.

"Man can not live by bread alone -- he must have more than one lathe."
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Hey Ken ...

You are really in trouble now. In another six months (or maybe less) you will also be shopping for something like a Jet 1236 or larger.
    You're so right! We are planning on building a house next spring on some land we inherited from SWMBO's grandmother. It's 25 beautiful wooded acres with two steams running through it. The first order of business has been determined to build a shop 30 x 40 that we can work out of while building. The larger lathe has already been planned for and worked into the finances, along with other major shop "Necessities" such as the table saw, planer, jointer, 17" band saw, dust collector, etc. I want to get into flat stuff when we get the shop built, so I'll be looking for lots of advice from the helpful folks here. Thanks for your comments, they've helped me a lot in building my confidence.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 06-25-2003 at 9:34 AM.
    Thanks, Ron