Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easiest way to do rabbets on small boxes? Planning Hinoki speakers--would love tips

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    That's a design choice. Small drivers can reach way down *if* you're willing to sacrifice efficiency and peak sound pressure level to get there. Headphones are an extreme example of that principle.
    Of course with efficiency inversely goes audio output 'volume' and subsequently battery life - headphones don't care too much about that because of the intimate coupling of the speaker to the ear and therefore not much 'volume' is needed. For a little desktop, portable speaker the issue is different. Lots of speaker designs out there that are small however, but tons of research goes in to making them efficient enough and deliver good audio output. Maybe they are worth a try at only around $30 for the electronics and speaker, or maybe there is a 'better' speaker that could be substituted. Of course, the the amplifier needs to be actually capable of delivering a full spectrum response with enough energy to drive the low end, and we are talking about a pretty small battery. - Thanks Matt for the idea!

Maybe you've seen this but, if not, take a look at the Sony at this link for something to compare to.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-xb...=ref:212,loc:2

Pat, Thanks for the link.

The speaker design that I was linking to is for plugged in performance (with subwoofer).
    Adding in a battery would be more expensive, and limit the life of the speaker (batteries need replacing).
    I think the design gets up to 90 db prior to any distortion?

Eventually, I was going to pair some of those drivers with a 2.1 amp and a tangband subwoofer to make something like this:TT1-front-SQ_1024x1024.jpg

Of course, I first need to get basic neander skills down like stock prep, joinery, and making a nice box.
    This should be hopefully fun.

Update:

Yesterday, I was hanging out with that sushi friend.
    We went to Hida tool, the Gourmet Ghetto of Berkeley, Farmer's Market, and Oakland Chinatown...places he'd wanted to go for the past four years, but never had time because of the restaurant.

While at Hida tool, I found a Japanese Moving Fillister plane.
    It's probably not as good as Takeo Nakano, but I'm just glad to find something that feels good in the hand.

I felt a bit guilty buying it, but justified it as a birthday present to myself (and it was much cheaper than a LN rabbet block plane).

Blog Entries
    We went to Hida tool, the Gourmet Ghetto of Berkeley, Farmer's Market, and Oakland Chinatown
    Gosh, brings back memories... All my pull saws were bought at Hida tool when my residence was in San Pablo, CA. Used to love to go to Monterey Market and grab a coffee up at Peet's. Used to work right next to Oakland Chinatown and eat there often.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hey Jim,

If you're ever up in the area, feel free to give me a ring.
    I'd be happy to treat you to dinner.