Thread: Threaded Ebony Box

Threaded Ebony Box

Finally got together pics of my third try at threading, this one an Ebony box about 2.5" in diameter.

For this one I turned the outside and hollowed almost to final dimensions, then let both the bottom and lid sit a few days in case there was any residual moisture or stress in the wood before final turning and threading. Baxter jig.

The Baxter jig makes it easy. I have it mounted on a second lathe so I can turn on one lathe and thread on the other without disturbing the threading setup. The jig makes the threading trivial; the hard part for me is getting the dimensions right.

I think I posted this picture earlier of this box along with the first two threading tries. The one on the left is my first. No finish on these - just a bit of buffing/polishing the bare wood. Several people asked me where I got those plastic lids. Ha!

I see I got a little light leakage making a blue shadow on these. Must be from the one light in the room I forgot to turn off, a small gooseneck lamp at the sharpening station about 10' away. Doesn't take much!

JKJ

Nice looking projects John. What are you using to thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Nice looking projects John. What are you using to thread ?
    Thanks. Good clean fun.

I use a Baxter jig which has been in a box on the shelf since I bought it maybe 10 years ago! http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/bathma.html
    I bought it to fit my Jet 1642 which turns out to be perfect since it is set up in the shop now as a second lathe.

These experiments are to get the dimensions and process down before I start learning the hand chasing!

JKJ

Those are fabulous! When the snow flys this winter here in Indiana I'm going to give threading a go.