Thread: New shop project...

New shop project...

Hi,

I currently have a small 13'x13' workshop in my basement and I'm tired of working downstairs with almost no window, so I'm planning on building a new shop.

We currently have a 16'x24' garage next to the house and my plan would be to build a 12'x24' shop next to the garage. I know what you think, but using the garage as a shop is not an option. The garage is too useful for too many other stuff (mechanic, car, atv, bikes, etc...)

So, 12'x24' might not be a very big shop, but that is about all I can have and it would still be almost twice as much space as my current shop.

I'd like to have a garage door at each end of the shop so I can open both in the summer and work with a lot of fresh air circulation (like I said.. tired of basement!!)

So, right now I'm thinking of a concrete floor (maybe do it myself.. but I'm not sure if it's a good idea, I don't know much about concrete and I'd like it to last)

I would wire a dedicated subpanel with 220v for the tools that can use it and there would be a door connecting it to the garage so I can access it without having to go outside. (think cold winter days!)

Speaking of winter, I would of course have to insulate it and have a decent heating system. Any suggestion about that?

Here are the tools I currently own and that I would want to fit in this shop:

- table saw
    - 14" bandsaw
    - 13" planer
    - 6" jointer
    - full size press drill
    - small wood lathe
    - belt sander
    - 1HP dust collector

All the big tools are already on wheels and they would indeed stay that way, but it would be cool if I could have less moving around to do.

Of course I would also need a workbench and place to fit all the usual manual tools.

My plan right now is to begin to build it next spring, so that gives me plenty of time to plan ahead and this is why I'm here asking for your advices?

Any ideas? suggestions? layouts for a 12'x24' shop?

Thanks!

Is the new shop going to be physically attached to the garage? If it is going to be attached to the garage, and the garage is attached to the house, you should get enough residual heat and cooling to just use a space heater and a wall AC when you are in the shop. If the garage is detached and you are building on to the garage, as it is with mine, I purchased a old furnace off of a HVAC company and converted it to propane. Place the furnace in a corner of the garage and run ducts to the shop with the thermostat in the shop. For a shop that size, by an over sized wall AC and you'll be good to go.

As for the garage doors on each side, I would highly recommend against that. A door on one of the short sides will be since for moving out larger pieces and machinery. Two doors will waste what is, in my opinion, valuable wall space for benches, cabinets and wood a wood rack on a wall due to the small footprint.

Mini split would work for heat and cool I bet.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Where are you? Location makes a huge difference...

Will you need permits and inspections?

The first thing that jumps out at me is that it sounds like you want to build it attached to your existing dwelling. Building an addition has a whole host of issues (structural and regulatory) attached to it that building a free standing outbuilding doesn't have.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 10-05-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks for the comments. Yes it will be attached to my actual garage which is already attached to my house. I live in Canada and we have a lot of snow and cold weather during the winter, so I want to be able to access it from my house without having to go outside. My garage is already insulated.

As for the second garage door, I know I will lose wall space if I do it, I'm still not decided about it. I may only put a normal door on the back side...

You might want to spend the extra and get a thicker insulated steel garage (R24 instead of R16) door to keep warm and cosy or ditch the overhead door altogether and get a large double door for that end too. You aren't likely to put vehicles in there are you? I have a double door that when open gives me a 6' x 6' opening. The other upside to a hinged door is not having to contend with the overhead rails interfering with ceiling mounted dust piping or overhead storage.

If your adding on to your existing garage consider stealing a few feet to make it a bit wider. 18 or 20 x24 is much better than 12.

Adding 1door will add resale value but forget the other. Put a few windows in for light. The wall space is invaluable.
    Don