Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Combination Plane and Lee Valley feedback

Blog Entries
    The two bead cutters are not too bad $$$ wise. It is the 3, 4 & 5 bead cutters that are harder to find.

During my buying frenzy days one of my ebay searches was for blades. Occasionally someone would list the specialty blades at low BIN prices, sometimes with shipping included.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have my date set at the store with their trainer. He has experienced wracking and loose knobs also on occasion. Sounds like my fence will get replaced along the way. We planned a very hands on experience with various woods. I will post results and some pictures of course.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Just received mine. I finally pulled the lever on it after struggling with my type 8 45 on a simple task. The 45 fence on my plane is difficult to set accurately and keep aligned. Not only that, stuff comes loose. There is a tremendous amount of friction when plowing a groove and a lot can go wrong. Paraffin wax or similar is essential. I am pleased so far with the Veritas, it's a lot easier so far to adjust and keep straight compared to my pre sweetheart 45.

Thanks for letting us know Sid!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Smith View Post
    Just received mine. I finally pulled the lever on it after struggling with my type 8 45 on a simple task. The 45 fence on my plane is difficult to set accurately and keep aligned. Not only that, stuff comes loose. There is a tremendous amount of friction when plowing a groove and a lot can go wrong. Paraffin wax or similar is essential. I am pleased so far with the Veritas, it's a lot easier so far to adjust and keep straight compared to my pre sweetheart 45.
    One of my comments about the Stanley #45 is my routine of constantly checking the rod holding bolts. Another is how the skates and fence need to be checked for parallel before starting.

The modern day machining methods have likely eliminated some of those problems.

The fence holding bolts on my Record #778 are very likely to come loose as is the bolt holding the depth stop. At least the depth stops on the Stanley #45 of type 7 and later are not as likely to slip.

The Veritas Combination plane brings an 18th century idea into the 21st century.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mine is in the mail...my discounted gift card from cyber Monday didn't survive the 2 day free shipping. Looking forward to putting it through the paces.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Although I have not used mine a whole lot yet, I am in love with it. I thought I would share a story. My neighbor collects Danish West Indian furniture and even authored a book on the subject. https://www.amazon.com/West-Indian-A.../dp/1851495371 His house, the Petit-Sturm house, is in my opinion one of the most beautiful historic homes in all the Caribbean, and it is fully furnished with period antiques. He stopped by to ask if I could make a duplicate leg for a fluted French table. I said I had just the tool for that, and showed him the Veritas Combination Plane. He was quite impressed and offered right away to commission me to make the table leg. I am redoing my shop, and have to build some doors and shutters for my house, but said I could do it after that. Anyway, I thought it funny that the plane itself sold him and not so much my ability to use it!

Blog Entries
    How are you guys getting along with the combination plane? I love mine.

Yep, I love mine too, though have not done much beyond grooving and some test dados. Miles beyond the Record 043 I had before. And all the bling still makes me smile.

Malcolm, any progress on that table leg?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra