Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Combination Plane and Lee Valley feedback

Just my 2 cents. I recently used the LV combo to cut a bunch of grooves 1/4 wide x 1/4 deep in 1/2 inch thick cherry, both in the long grain and across grain. I even cut about a dozen grooves in 5 ply, 1/4 inch plywood, 3/32 deep. I didn't experience any problems with knobs, or fences. I use the Spyderco ultra fine stone for all my honing. I have vary seldom used a combination plane of any brand before so I thought this plane did a vary good job and glad to have it.
    Chet

Sooo, then why is the OP's plane such a mess? Maybe like Wood River, and their Versions 1, 2, and 3?

"Lee Valley here just wondering how your combination plane is going?" "It seems you are the only person to have bought one in south west Ontario". "We have had reports of wracking, how is yours?" Seems to me they know there is a problem with the plane. Wracking will affect all other aspects of how well the plane works. That being said, one of my favorite quotes from the woodworking forums is "Sharp fixes everything" (I don't know who first said it). As has been stated in this post earlier, Combo plane irons need to be very sharp to give quality results, at least that's my experience. YMMD.

One thing which I've always been curious of is commentary that combination planes were developed back in the days of old growth timber w/ wonderfully straight and even grain, with at least one writer noting that they weren't suited on lumber which was not thus.

The OP wanted to have a 3/8" bead on the edge of a piece of white oak. A number of tools and methods can do this. Is a metal plow plane the best?

William - can you post pictures of the plane as you had it set up? I'm curious why you needed the long rods to cut a bead on an edge and what you mean by full extension.

For me..it is. Have been using my #45 on Hard maple, Curly Maple.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    The OP wanted to have a 3/8" bead on the edge of a piece of white oak. A number of tools and methods can do this. Is a metal plow plane the best?
    No, the "best" would probably be a dedicated 3/8" side-escapement beading plane. Larry Williams will sell you a perfectly serviceable one for the low low price of only $295, though in fairness you can get one for a bit less from somebody like Matt Bickford or Phil Edwards.

The problem of course is that not everybody can afford (or find places to store) enough wooden moulding planes for every profile they want to use, which is why metal combo planes exist to begin with.

FWIW if I had to do this using only the tools I have on hand, then I'd probably establish the rough shape with a combo plane, and finish up with a scratch stock if I can't get the tearout under control any other way (though back beveling works pretty well...).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-06-2017 at 3:33 PM.

Sorry to hear of your issues William. I haven't had the opportunity to try cutting a bead with mine yet but for simple grooving (and also reeding) I've found it to work fantastic, no wracking or loosening of knobs at all...miles better than a Stanley 45. Can't see why beading would be different if you set it up right. I remember the first time I actually nailed down the technique for using fenced planes, holding it in place using the fence and just gently providing a forward push with the tote. Till then my experience was somewhate as you described, but I can't see why your rods would be wracking.

Not saying that lee valley didn't call you but I'm a bit skeptical about what they said as you described it....from my past experience with lee valley, if the issues were bad enough for them to call one person about it, they would've called all of us and offered to exchange or return the planes. Unless you got yours from a faulty manufacturing batch, it sounds very odd. Maybe Rob Lee can provide some input...how is it we summon him again?!

Blog Entries
    The comments here are no surprise! Interesting that no one comments on the tool, except the fact that it was not sharp enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Sooo, then why is the OP's plane such a mess? Maybe like Wood River, and their Versions 1, 2, and 3?
    We do not have enough information to know why there is a problem. Most of the replies have been based on what people have experienced in the past with other combination planes. My question about what Mr. Fretwell means by full extension has been asked by at least one other and remains unanswered. If he was cutting an edge bead on a board on the side opposite of the fence this could explain why he was having a problem. Then again he could have been talking about his arm or body extension. This could introduce a different problem.

The sharpness of the blade is a common problem for almost any plane. This may be why this was considered by many to be a most likely culprit. Though it isn't common to get a Veritas blade that isn't ready out of the box.

It could be a problem with the piece of wood being used. It is a common occurrence to have a bead or other detail messed up by uncooperative grain.

It could be a manufacturing problem or it could be operator error. In my experience, all of the above mentioned problems could have coalesced to ruin Mr. Fretwell's work.

Did your Stanley #45 work first time every time without any difficulties? If so, you may be due a spot in the Guinness Book of Records.

This thread is approaching 30 replies to the OP trying to determine why he had problems without any images or explanations of some of his terminology.

To me it is a good sign that so many people are willing to put an effort into helping someone solve a problem when those trying to help are in essence working blind.

If the plane wracks (i.e. there is movement between the main body, the rods and the fence when things are tight, then there is a problem with the tool and it should be exchanged.

If the plane is stiff and wracking in the work, then this is common and is usually corrected with experience over time. My knowledge of this comes from experience, one can learn a lot from their failures if they remain calm about it.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-06-2017 at 3:55 PM. Reason: clarity
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Learning the 45 was easy, actually...I read the instructions...watched as many videos as I could fine, so that I would understand how it worked...BEFORE I tried each of the 7 different set-ups.

Yes when I find my camera and get back in the shop.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I doubt there is a batch number, I will check the box. "All of us" is apparently just me. I guess if there is an issue they start somewhere and that is close to home, that was the conversation; skeptical or not. I know the woman that called me by sight, heck I used to drive past their door twice a day for years and was often a little late home!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    I doubt there is a batch number, I will check the box. "All of us" is apparently just me. I guess if there is an issue they start somewhere and that is close to home, that was the conversation; skeptical or not. I know the woman that called me by sight, heck I used to drive past their door twice a day for years and was often a little late home!
    I have the Combo and they haven't reached out to me, nor have I had racking problems ("wrack" is an old English word for "wreck" and is probably not what you were trying to say).

Combos are among the most difficult of all planes to use, so IMO Lee Valley took a bit of a risk by bringing this to market. It is inevitable that some customers will be dissatisfied with any such plane, and that's going to be particularly true for folks who expect the sort of "fire-and-forget" ease of use that many LV tools deliver.

I'm sure that LV recognized that inherent "brand risk" when they decided to offer the Combo plane, and it would not surprise me if they've implemented some sort of program to identify and reach out to "customers of concern". They could prioritize customers for outreach based on purchasing habits or (in your case) historical face-to-face interactions, for example.

In short I don't see any reason to doubt your account, though I also think that your expectations for ease of use may be unrealistic for this sort of plane. They inherently require some learning and/or practice.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-07-2017 at 12:50 AM.

The first time I used a metal plow plane I had unhappy results. Went to a fellow woodworker for some demonstrations and instructions. Some practise and I'm good - of course the wood sometimes argues.