Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Just got a Cell Phone

I Just got a Cell Phone

I finally got my first cell phone. I was happy with just a landline but it worked out to be cost effective to switch to a smartphone and cut my landline. We discussed it here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...e-a-Cell-Phone
    I see the benefit to texting and I do that now. I get wind reports on it so it's great for windsurfing.
    The problem is my wife and family want me to respond on it like they do, almost non-stop and compulsive.
    I answered a voice call driving like I promised I'd never do. I did make a dash mount so it's a legal hands-free phone now.
    When I set up voicemail I want it to say "I don't respond by voice, please email or text me" That seems faster and less hassle.
    I originally said I'd leave it at home and only take it with me if I was gone all day. Now I feel like I'm getting sucked into the compulsion to take it everywhere.

Any tips for a recent landline cutter who's never had a cell phone?
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 10-04-2017 at 9:42 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Nip it in the bud

My only advice is to train the instant communicators. Do it now before it's too late!

Some people used to get quite upset when I didn't respond instantly. What I did was purposely wait a while, maybe 30 minutes before responding For people I didn't want to talk to anyway I might wait until the next day. It's just like training a horse or llama - patience and repetition. If they complain I tell them I was busy, running machinery, was in a poor reception area, or was throwing up in the bathroom. One of these is always true. After some training no one expects instant responses.

I also had to train myself when I began to have the compulsion to answer when driving. Sometimes I turn my phone off when driving (or working around the farm) - sure improves battery life. Having it off or at least silenced when driving removes the temptation to use it and wreck the car. I know people who leave their phones off until they want to make a call. Occasionally I leave it at home just for practice. Often I just don't answer - there is no law saying I must. If it's important they will leave a message.

One other hint - put everyone's name in your phone's address book so you can see who's calling. If the phone number is unrecognized I never answer it. That eliminates ALL of the noxious robo and sales calls. If it's my Lovely Bride calling and it's time for supper or she is away from home I will answer it. Maybe she's calling because she has decided to buy me a track hoe.

Most of the population has forgotten that life went on just fine for a LONG time without instant communication. I'm convinced now if the cell system goes down it will be the collapse of civilization and possibly the end of the humans in most of the world - no one will be able to find their way around, be unable to find food, shelter, and medical care, will have no idea how to meet up with people, will be unable to date, get married, and reproduce.

BTW, I got my first cell phone sometime between the car phone and the flip phone, late '80s, early '90s? I didn't know anyone else who had a cell phone at the time. It was a huge phone compared to what's available today. I was walking around a computer graphics convention in Los Angeles in a huge hall so noisy you could barely hear yourself think and hand the phone in my back pocket when someone tapped me on the shoulder: "Excuse me, but your butt is ringing!" Ha!

JKJ

I check texts once or twice a day just like email. Nobody is going to force me to pay more attention to it than that.

Andrew, congratulations on the technology leap. Although I've had pagers and then cell phones for years for work I didn't get my own until I retired about 6 years ago. And I also got rid of my landline at that time. I know a lot of people that I would say get "addicted" to their cell phones and I can understand that. You just have to be diligent in how you use it. I always have mine in the car when I go anywhere since I feel it's a great tool to have in case of any emergency, whether you have to make the call or someone needs to contact you.

I'm fortunate that my car has a bluetooth connection for my phone and answer and hangup buttons are on the steering wheel. And since the audio goes over the vehicle sound system it automatically overrides the radio. Of course, I get less than a dozen calls a year while I'm driving (helps that I'm single). But having your phone with you also comes in handy if you see something (while not driving) that you would like to share or capture as an idea for a project you can just take a picture.

I also do not do any banking or other financial activity on my cell phone. In fact, the only app I use that required a password is my email. And if someone ever hacked that I think they would get bored in short order.

I've had a cellphone (I think I'm on #10) since 1996. The compulsion to answer every call went away years ago--I wouldn't have gotten any work done. The one bit of wisdom from a former member here that flipped that mental switch for me was, "I pay for the phone, I decide when to use it".
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I got my first cell phone before I retired in 1996. Within a couple of years, I had decided that I would scrap my business landline (Southwestern Bell was gouging me) and just use a cell phone for my new business. That was one of my better equipment decisions. I was late coming to the texting thing but now use it often but do not allow it to interupt anything. I've had Bluetooth in my last two cars so I answer the phone while driving. I do not place calls or text.

I use the camera and email so much for my business that I couldn't get by without it.

At first, Motorola seemed to be the way to go, then Blackberry but now, after about 3 years I'm a diehard iPhone guy.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 10-05-2017 at 7:07 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have had my cell phone since 1989 and I still have a land line that I use more than the cell. still have the same number that I got back then also. I remember driving down through KY and getting an automated call to check if I wanted service in that area

I've kept my land line because the cell reception is really bad where I live and my business is behind the house. While here I forward my cell ( which is my business number) to my landline and leave the cell lying on the dining table all the time I'm home.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Phone numbers, and notifications

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    ... still have the same number that I got back then also.
    An idea when switching from land-line to cell: When we dropped the land line when moving to the farm I had the land-line number transferred to my cell phone. That way friends and family who had that number could still reach us. I still don't answer compulsively but at least communication can happen.

Very few calls are urgent. One thing that works for those who can't live without worrying that every call might be urgent. Have friends and family know that for an urgent call simply call again. A second call from the same person implies some urgency.

Another thing I did some years ago was turn off ALL notifications from every source. That way I won't be distracted but browse on my schedule.

I do have my own compulsions. One is reading the newspaper (especially since I never watch TV, another common waste of life). An article in today's paper with the headline "ARE YOU ADDICTED TO YOUR SMARTPHONE?" reported that 46% of Americans said they could not live without their smart phone! (Pew Research Center) People stare at the screen the last thing before trying to go to sleep. They check it the first thing when they wake up. My Lovely Bride will stand motionless for minutes in the middle of the kitchen or hallway and browse Facebook feeds. Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, even notifications from woodworking forums can control us.

I have people come here for part time work at the farm. I'd see teens and even adults standing stationary next to a wheelbarrow or a bale of hay they were supposed to be carrying, staring at their phones. And I'm paying for that? New rule: all phones go on a shelf in the shop while working. One girl nearly had a meltdown, "What if it's an emergency and my MOTHER needs to reach me??" My answer: she has my number and I'll take the call. Funny thing happened, the kids got used to it very quickly and never missed their phone. One of the first things I ask now when someone wants work: are you addicted to your phone? BTW, the boy who works now, 15, the best worker I've ever had, doesn't even have a phone.

JKJ

I can't believe how rude people can be with their cell phones--my own family included. My wife and I do not carry our phones if we have guests or are dining etc. But the kids bring them to the table which really galls me. My grandchildren are even allowed to do it. One daughter, 40 years old is so addicted ---well don't get me started on that.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I've kept my land line because the cell reception is really bad where I live and my business is behind the house. While here I forward my cell ( which is my business number) to my landline and leave the cell lying on the dining table all the time I'm home.
    I did just the opposite have my land line set to answer anywhere

Didn't read all the response's here so if this was mentioned before sorry.
    There are several apps that will send an Auto Text Reply to Phone calls and text text message. I set mine up so when Im on my bike or in my car It just says " I'm Driving and will reply later " I never text or answer the phone while driving.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hah...I've had cell phone service since the 1980s when I was selling the big, dorky, heavy "car phones" and "bag phones" in the Radio Shack store I managed at the time. In general, I stay on top of messages which has been a work habit for a long time, but I started to relax that a bit prior to retirement and now in retirement. It depends upon who's at the other end of the message.

As to your own behavior...make it your own. If you don't want to respond immediately, don't. If you prefer to be on top of things, that's ok, too. You also can code certain contacts as "VIPs" and adjust your response accordingly. Your spouse/significant other, if that applies to you, would likely prefer to be a "VIP"... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

After carrying several phones for my job after I retired I threatened to run over mine with the car and was greeted with cries of horror and the family would not be able to call me. I fixed that, it lives in my car for me to use when I want and I never look at it. I have educated everyone that unless I am in the car it does not get answered and leaving messages was an exercise in futility. The first thing I after I retired was turn off all notifications and data so it is only a phone and nothing else.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I finally got my first cell phone. I was happy with just a landline but it worked out to be cost effective to switch to a smartphone and cut my landline. We discussed it here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...e-a-Cell-Phone
    I see the benefit to texting and I do that now. I get wind reports on it so it's great for windsurfing.
    The problem is my wife and family want me to respond on it like they do, almost non-stop and compulsive.
    I answered a voice call driving like I promised I'd never do.
    I did make a dash mount so it's a legal hands-free phone now.
    When I set up voicemail I want it to say "I don't respond by voice
    , please email or text me" That seems faster and less hassle.
    I originally said I'd leave it at home and only take it with me if I was gone all day. Now I feel like I'm getting sucked into the compulsion to take it everywhere.

Any tips for a recent landline cutter who's never had a cell phone?
    If you're not going to use email, don't set it up. People calling you will get a message that you haven't set it up and they won't be able to leave a message. I think the new iPhones won't ring while driving unless you indicate that you're a passenger and NOT driving.