Thread: Disc sander find

Disc sander find

Found this Kindt Collins 30" disc sander "R" model on EBay a few months ago. It was the cleanest of about five others for sale. But what was amazing was it was thousands cheaper. With a little advice from fellow creeker, Dave Kumm, I snagged it.
    The previous owner crated and shipped it to me via Old Dominion. The Sander arrived in perfect shape.

The sander was was manufactured in 1966. I still can't believe the condition of this machine. I could not find a speck of rust anywhere. It did however need a thorough cleaning. Years of dried disc adhesive all over her. I literally whipped the entire sander down with lacquer thinner to remove the glue globs and dirt.

I had Sherwin Williams match the original body paint. Painted the entire sander with just a brush. Not my first choice but really I felt it just needed a touch up. Repainted the lettering and badge in teal opposed to the original blue. Painted the table edges as well.

At 750 lbs, she is a beast. Just the disc is 1/2" solid steel. There is a 5" dust collection port on the back which is really efficient.

Anyway, I don't believe you can buy a new sander anywhere like this. It is my second old iron machine.

Cheers

IMG_8004.jpgimage2.jpg

That is a beaut. 30" wow!!!

Very cool! Nice restore, I’m jealous!

Made here in Cleveland too.

Mind if I ask what you paid?

She's a beauty! HP? 3 phase?
    It probably takes a while for it to coast to a stop..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Glad it worked out. I have a 24" R and a 24" pot belly but the 30" is the perfect size if you have the room. They are rare and you did it justice. Well done. Dave

EDIT. I've SW charge their industrial sher kem into spray cans as well. Good for touch up or small parts.

I used one exactly like it in a 1970s employment. Ran truer than any of the small ones I've used. Enjoy!

Wow, super jealous.

If that was the one in Michigan you definitely stole it for that price. Congrats on it!

Wow! The R model with the counterbalanced table ... not sure I've ever seen the 30" model. Beautiful restore. You did it justice!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
    I have a correction... it is a 24”.

It is a 2hp single phase 220.
    I think I can post the price... $1500

If it was three phase it would make a nice extra idler motor for a rotary phase converter.

Blog Entries
    That is indeed a beautiful machine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice John! I like the color combination, gives me ideas for my vintage Oliver disk.