View Poll Results: Which Cyclone DC would you buy??

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Baileigh DC-2100c

0 0%
  • Jet JCDC-3

0 0%
  • Laguna C|Flux 3

1 3.13%
  • Clearvue 1800

24 75.00%
  • Grizzly G0441

7 21.88%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Cyclone Dust Collector - Opinions wanted!

I have a clearvue and it is a beast. Putting it together sucks but once it is done it's done.

The key with the clearvue is to plan how you are going to mount in terms of orientation and physical location BEFORE you assemble it.

I think the fact that a CV can be custom installed is a big plus. There have even been installations where the fan housing sits beside the cyclone and draws through a connecting duct when head height is an issue.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by marty fretheim View Post
    I know your not thinking Oneida because of cost but they do offer an engineering of your duct system specific to your shop. Its free if you buy from them and I believe they will do it for a fee if you don't buy from them. When I was looking for dust collection I had it narrowed down to Clearvue and Oneida. I went with the latter so no experience with CV. From what Ive seen I think CV will work good for you. I strongly recommend installing whichever collector you go with in another room and venting it outside. Thats what I did and I don't regret it. I only know its running when the flex hoses to the machines move a little bit. The only time I get any dust out the exhaust is when the dust bin gets over full. Mine came with a filter but it is unused. The argument about sucking the heated/cooled air from your shop is a non-issue for me. I suppose if it ran all day it would be a problem.
    In this instance another room isn't an option this is a stand alone block structure in the style of my house and the wife we shoot me if I added another room to it now! That being said, I can do some insulation around the unit and the shop itself is spray foam on the ceiling and foam filled in the block so it helps contain the noise. If the DC is running something even louder is probably running too so I'm not overly concerned with noise though quieter would be nice if possible.

Thank you for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Alexander View Post
    I have had the 3 HP Grizzly for about 10 years now - got it when they first came out. At that time CV was also getting started and sounded better in my research but I was just afraid of the plastic cyclone body. I don't think you can really go too wrong with any of those choices and overall I've been very happy with the Grizzly but if I did it today CV would be my choice. Replacing large filters is expensive and the efficiency and design of CV will just about eliminate that. 5 HP and a larger impeller also helps.

I mounted mine to the wall on rubber cushions off old automobile shock absorbers. Still works fine.

Excellent feedback Rick, appreciated. It seems like the CV is the clear favorite for everyone here. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that unit and will post some pictures when its all done!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I monitor how effectively it picks up dust with a Dylos Pro laser-based air quality monitor.
    JKJ
    I have been thinking about getting one of these. How do you use yours? Does it monitor all the time, or do you do spot metering? Do you use the PC interface, or is a standalone unit sufficient?

Feel free to PM me if it is easier.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Dudkiewicz View Post
    For a pretty typical run of 20 feet 6" ducting with 1 wye and 2.5 90degree elbows, generating 7.8" of static pressure at 1100cfm, you would only get about 700cfm if you added 10' of 4" flex hose. This is based on theory / fan curves of the cv1800 with 16" impeller. In reality i expect both numbers would be lower.
    Where did you find those fan curves? I would really like to see them. Do they include both the cyclone and filter?
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

7. Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Where did you find those fan curves? I would really like to see them. Do they include both the cyclone and filter?
    Clear Vue Fan Curve (2).pdf

This is from the clearvue forum provided by Bill Pentz i believe. The data appears to have some inconsistencies and I believe both the max and cv1800 had a 16" impeller. I was never sure if this includes the cyclone or just static pressure drop ahead of it. I assume it includes the cyclone - that is, you use the total static pressure drop of your duct system, adding 2.25" for the cyclone (i guess the assumption is made that this is valid at nominal airflows) and then use this number to get the corresponding approx airflow from the fan curve . Bill also has a simple static pressure calculator on his site. He adds 2.25" of pressure drop for the cyclone.

Cheers, Dom

This is from the clearvue forum provided by Bill Pentz i believe. The data appears to have some inconsistencies and I believe both the max and cv1800 had a 16" impeller. I was never sure if this includes the cyclone or just static pressure drop ahead of it. I assume it includes the cyclone - that is, you use the total static pressure drop of your duct system, adding 2.25" for the cyclone (i guess the assumption is made that this is valid at nominal airflows) and then use this number to get the corresponding approx airflow from the fan curve . Bill also has a simple static pressure calculator on his site. He adds 2.25" of pressure drop for the cyclone.

Cheers, Dom
    Thanks Dom. You're right about the inconsistencies in that data!
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Cheers, Dom
    The CV 1800 has a 15" and the Max has a 16"impeller.
    Chris

Oneida....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I am surprised that a 3 hp Oneida unit isn't on your short list. Not the cheapest, but very popular for a number of reasons...
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 10-06-2017 at 9:10 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

12. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    The CV 1800 has a 15" and the Max has a 16"impeller.
    I think in this case both had 16". I recall reading this in a post by Bill Pentz (though i can't be 100% sure) when he was discussing these fan curves. It was a couple of years ago so i can't be sure my memory serves correctly but it certainly would help to explain why the cv1800 and cvmax 8" test duct fan curves over-lay each other for the most part.

Read the air handling pdf on sizing ductwork and dust collectors. Or even Sandor's book. Do the math, it is simple. Its worth doing it correctly when you see the results.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hi Rick,

I have a 1500 sq ft hobby shop with similar machine, (20" planer, 12" jointer, 25" drum sander so slightly more dust production capacity) and when deciding on DC I did all the calcs and finally decided on the Grizz 2hp cyclone. Reasoning was the cfm capacity of the 2hp matched my needs, $400 less than the 3hp(back then), and I could pick up the unit at the showroom, saving shipping costs, otherwise I would have chosen Onieda. This was 10+ years ago and there weren't as many choices then. I ran a 7"(25')main line with 6" peripherals(4@~20') to 4" flex pipe drops from the ceiling. Likely loss of cfm from flex pipe but chips/dust dissappear. I used "official DC" long 90's for the drops and other smooth wyes(Penn State Ind IIRC) for several junctions and all other fittings are standard HVAC fittings. Used snaplock 26ga. pipe. I went a bit nuts and got the Ecogate automatic gate control system so I don't need to open/close gates as I move from machine to machine. I also added an attached enclosure to the shop for the cyclone (and compressor) so the noise level in the shop is much better and I don't have to worry about being so tidy in the shop. I welded axels and wheels to a 55 gal drum to easily roll out and dump the chips. There is enough height in the shed to mount the cyclone on the wall(didn't need to buy a stand) so the drum can fit. This setup has worked very well for my needs. Not sure if a 3hp system would have improved performance significanly as the 2hp has been good for me. So my thoughts are: 1-get the cyclone outside the shop if possible, 2-consider 2hp for cost savings, 3-spend those savings on an auto gate system or get one anyway, 4-include a TS overarm DC guard in you duct layout. I have a SS as well, don't use a guard and get too much dust when doing fine trim cuts. Good luck shopping

I think in this case both had 16". I recall reading this in a post by Bill Pentz (though i can't be 100% sure) when he was discussing these fan curves. It was a couple of years ago so i can't be sure my memory serves correctly but it certainly would help to explain why the cv1800 and cvmax 8" test duct fan curves over-lay each other for the most part.
    Not the case, the Max was developed to use a 16" impeller and flow the same amount of air as the 1800 at 50hz which is the common electricity supply outside the US. http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/cv18...h-filters.html
    At 50hz the impeller RPM drops to 2850 instead of 3600RPM (approx) at 60hz which is a substantial drop and often not realised in any dust extractor research. All performance figures (for what they are worth) are all quoted at 60hz which means the rest of the world outside the US gets totally ripped off when it comes to DE performance from every manufacturer except Clearvue.
    Chris