View Poll Results: Which Cyclone DC would you buy??

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Baileigh DC-2100c

0 0%
  • Jet JCDC-3

0 0%
  • Laguna C|Flux 3

1 3.13%
  • Clearvue 1800

24 75.00%
  • Grizzly G0441

7 21.88%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Cyclone Dust Collector - Opinions wanted!

You really need to provide some info on the units like hp, intake diameter cfm etc or are you expecting everyone else to do your home work for you. In general more hp, more cfm, more pressure, longer cone, bigger intake. I wish mine rotated the other direction as it would make the main duct more logical in my shop space.
    I like my Murphy Rogers on an Oneida cyclone. I think the blower is more heavy duty then most sold by woodshop stores.
    Bill

Don't buy a CV Max unless you are prepared to go to a bigger main duct and six inch ducts to the machines which have had the ports opened up to match the duct. I used to sell Clearvues and my recommendation is 6" all the way for the 1800 and 235mm main duct for the Max down to 6" for the verticals and somewhere in the centre of the work area an open 6"duct to atmosphere. This pulls air in from the work space including the floating fines and caused a bigger change of air in the work area. The 235 main duct was sized due to local supply conditions, I have no idea of equivalents in the US but around that size works. Getting excited about exact duct sizes etc is unnecessary in a hobby shop, properly designed bell mouth intakes and machine ports is way more critical as these allow the maximum capture ability at the source because once it is in the air the damage is done. Just remember the minimum duct size for any DE should be 6", if the DE can't support that size duct buy one that can.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    This is the cyclone with filters for $1695: http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/cv18...h-filters.html

You are looking at the bundle. It includes the mounting bracket (easy to make, instructions in the manual), the cleanout box (easy to make) and the electrical box. I bought the electrical box and afterwards realized I could have duplicated it for a fraction of the cost. It consists of a metal box, the outlets on short pieces of conduit, an inexpensive contactor (relay) and a wireless remote that was $16 from Amazon at the time. (I bought three to get extra remote transmitter fobs). Probably wouldn't take $50 to duplicate it once you know what it is.

JKJ
    I stand corrected, I missed the non-bundle options and that certainly is making me think long and hard about the ClearVue. I like what you did with the electric set up as well, tidy and easy to replicate. I think that unless someone makes a compelling argument otherwise this may be the path I take. Thank you for the advice it is appreciated and the pictures as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    You really need to provide some info on the units like hp, intake diameter cfm etc or are you expecting everyone else to do your home work for you. In general more hp, more cfm, more pressure, longer cone, bigger intake. I wish mine rotated the other direction as it would make the main duct more logical in my shop space.
    I like my Murphy Rogers on an Oneida cyclone. I think the blower is more heavy duty then most sold by woodshop stores.
    Bill
    I think I mentioned that all the units (with the exception of the ClearVue are 3hp and I think that from a CFM perspective the numbers can be misleading depending on how its measured (i.e. manufacturer claims can be total bunk). I was simply looking for real world opinions of those who own the units or have some thoughts about them. I'm not looking for anyone to do my homework for me, I've looked extensively at the units in question along with several others. There is no one right answer here, input is appreciated so I can try to find my "right" answer.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight. I think the ClearVue is sounding like a pretty good choice! As much as I like the Oneida I really would like to keep the price point around 2k.

6. For a pretty typical run of 20 feet 6" ducting with 1 wye and 2.5 90degree elbows, generating 7.8" of static pressure at 1100cfm, you would only get about 700cfm if you added 10' of 4" flex hose. This is based on theory / fan curves of the cv1800 with 16" impeller. In reality i expect both numbers would be lower.

Thanks Mike this is exactly the kind of real world feedback I'm looking for.

I have a CV1800 with 6" ducts everywhere (some machines are reduced to 4"). I have measured the airflow at the inlet of each machine and I am around the 1000cfm marks; not great but good for almost all machines.
    You have got some good points. Among the machines listed above CV is the better choice. If you want to enlarge your options Oneida has some good options (but probably more $$). One point I didn't see mentioned is the filter area. More filter area means less SP and better airflow; With two large filters CV gives larger filter area than similar price point machines. The 1800 doesn't use the full 5HP of the machine (close to 4HP) and the CV-Max with 16" impeller uses the full 5HP.

Why does everyone get hung up on calculating duct sizes for a hobby workshop? It is totally unnecessary, an 1800 with 6" ducts will work just fine and of 7" is available it will be better. The 1800 was designed around 6" and no more conversation is needed. As I said above the single best thing that can be done is well designed bell mouth intakes and dust shrouds. Why complicate something that is in reality fairly simple?

There is another variation with CV, buy an 1800 and specify a Max impeller, it works very well.
    Chris

Chris is spot on. In general, there is very little about dust pickup shapes. The exception is for over the blade table saw pick ups. Getting dust at the source is critical. Of course you need adequate dust collection flow and a ClearVue or Oneida will both be great choices.

I know your not thinking Oneida because of cost but they do offer an engineering of your duct system specific to your shop. Its free if you buy from them and I believe they will do it for a fee if you don't buy from them. When I was looking for dust collection I had it narrowed down to Clearvue and Oneida. I went with the latter so no experience with CV. From what Ive seen I think CV will work good for you. I strongly recommend installing whichever collector you go with in another room and venting it outside. Thats what I did and I don't regret it. I only know its running when the flex hoses to the machines move a little bit. The only time I get any dust out the exhaust is when the dust bin gets over full. Mine came with a filter but it is unused. The argument about sucking the heated/cooled air from your shop is a non-issue for me. I suppose if it ran all day it would be a problem.

I agree that duct size is less important when you oversize the impeller. It become critical when running a 2-3 hp 13-14" impeller. It also depends on the needs of the machine. I've got a shaper with two 120mm ports and a 5 hp Oneida blower was barely adequate. I went to a radial impeller and a 7.5 hp motor to deal with larger and older machines. Older machines had poor dust collection designs. I've some that need 2000 cfm and the Dylos monitor still spikes up. Dave

My recommendation would be Oneida (which is what I have) followed by ClearVue. Do not be tempted to skimp on this purchase. It's the most important piece of equipment in my shop (besides the air conditioner since I live in Houston).

Less efficient dust collection directly affects your health. I used to have chronic sinus and lung issues after working in the shop when it was equipped with what I thought was a pretty good dust collector. That's because it collected everything visible but the smallest particles where being blown past the filter back out into the air. You need true HEPA filtration.

My Dad's advice was always buy the best you can possibly afford even if it hurts a little. That is definitely true in this case. Oneida is expensive but well worth it in my opinion. My Dust Gorilla Pro is built like a tank with a Baldor motor. I doubt I will ever have to replace it.

Since your shop is air conditioned, don't skip the filter and exhaust it outside as you will create negative pressure and the makeup air will be drawn from outside no matter how well sealed you think your building may be.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 10-06-2017 at 8:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I agree that duct size is less important when you oversize the impeller.
    I don't think that is correct Dave, the correct size impeller is what is necessary.
    Chris

I have had the 3 HP Grizzly for about 10 years now - got it when they first came out. At that time CV was also getting started and sounded better in my research but I was just afraid of the plastic cyclone body. I don't think you can really go too wrong with any of those choices and overall I've been very happy with the Grizzly but if I did it today CV would be my choice. Replacing large filters is expensive and the efficiency and design of CV will just about eliminate that. 5 HP and a larger impeller also helps.

I mounted mine to the wall on rubber cushions off old automobile shock absorbers. Still works fine.