Thread: Need help - woodmaster W1200 drum sander vibration

Need help - woodmaster W1200 drum sander vibration

Hi guys. I bought an old used Woodmaster W1200 drum sander a while back. It needed a new power cord, which I have since installed. Plugged it in and turned it on. Seems to run pretty good except that there is a bit of vibration. Just wondering, is the vibration an indication that the bearings may need replacing? If so, how do I go about replacing them?

John

Not familar with that model Woodmaster, you said its "old", first thing I would do is check for slop in the bearings, it they are tight, drive belt replacment would be next.

You can also call woodmaster, they are a good company to deal with.

Ed

If it is easy I would take the belt off the motor and see how much noise the motor alone makes when running. then feel all the bearings for slop. If you can feel any movement they need to be replaced.

Bearings, belt or pulley. Check to see if the pulley set screw is tight enough on the shaft. They can work their way loose over time.

A lot of vibration? Much more than you would expect? My WM2675 has some vibration – nature of the beast. Your W1200 is probably 25-30 years old. The first thing I would check & replace is the drive belt. Make sure the pulley set screws and motor mount screws are tight. Grab hold of the drum while you have the belt off and check for any lateral & up/down movement.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Before you do anything see if the ends of the drum are open and have sawdust packed in them. Ordinarily it coats the inside of the drum evenly and doesn't cause a balance problem but if some has come loose from being moved that could cause the vibrations.