Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Maintainer/Charger

I use one with my ZTR as its alternator became unreliable and the external tender was, um...more affordable...and more versatile. I installed the quick connect directly to the battery posts. The unit I bought has an alternate quick connect end that has clips and I can use that when I need to use it for a different "vehicle", such as charging the break-away brake battery for my horse trailer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Battery Tender is the "big dog" of the float charger /maintainers. Be careful of the HF chargers ; we used to see a lot of damage because they don't have overcharge cutoff built in.

Another Battery Tender user. I have several, and find them very reliable, even when the special plug to the battery is in the rain. Only one ever went bad.......the dog ate it. I like the ones that charge two cars.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    If you bring the battery inside for the winter, just charge it in the spring before your first use. Been doing that for 40 years with my boat batteries. A discharged battery can freeze. But unused equipment left outside in the winter, particularly older batteries closer to their end life, should be left on a trickle charger. Which reminds me I need to do that with my Z425, not easy to remove the battery. Been lucky so far.
    NOW you tell me...

I use the Battery Tender at home for 4 motorcycles and use them at work to keep spare VRLA batteries ready for UPS applications.

They work very well.............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Another downside to the HF units, the battery lights the led. I found out the hard way. I'd check it regularly and see the led lit and think..great. works just fine. Come spring the battery was shot. The extension cord had been unplugged all winter.

Based on this thread, I just bought the battery tender junior. Installed it tonight. Thanks for the tip guys!
    Fred

Based on the info here and the reviews on Amazon I bought the same one over the weekend but didn't get it installed yet.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation