Thread: Cast Iron Top Sealants, Protectants?

Cast Iron Top Sealants, Protectants?

Anyone ever use "Liquid Glass" automotive polish/sealer on a table saw top or similar?
    If not what works best?
    Mike

My guess is that it has silicone products in it, which will transfer to the wood and cause problems when finishing. I use good ol' Johnson's Paste Wax.

My understanding is that it is an Aliphatic Resin. Not certain about silicone. As far as I know there are only 2 ways to remove it-acetone or sandpaper!
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    My guess is that it has silicone products in it, which will transfer to the wood and cause problems when finishing. I use good ol' Johnson's Paste Wax.

I was always told never to use automotive waxes on cast iron that will contact wood. I use a combination of T9-Boeshield and Johnson paste wax. I have a shop that is open to the elements so that is why I use both. You can easily get away with just some Johnson paste wax though.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga

Blog Entries
    The "no car wax" rule is probably still a good rule of thumb. However, there are so many chemical compositions now. Just check the ingredients or MSDS sheet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Kind of looks like a hazard sheet for an adhesive not a car polish?? Could be mistaken but I believe that Liquid Glass I am referring to is made in USA NOT Australia.
    Mike

Johnsons paste wax. Buff it with a scotch brute pad or steel wool and the apply the wax. If it's a new tool you might need to do this a few times to build up the wax to protect it.
    Don

Remove all rust in one of the many methods listed out there, then clean with mineral spirits, then clean that film off with denatured alcohol. Then coat with a light wipe on of T9, let dry over night. Wipe off excess and put two coats of Johnsons Paste Furniture wax or Renaissance Wax allowing time to dry in between coats and wiping off. Do that with regular applications of the wax and youre top should stay perfect and slick.

Or, if you really want to get fancy, you could always have the cast iron top chrome plated
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have used Liquid Glass on my motorbikes for over thirty years. No regrets. It is expensive. On cast iron I use paste wax. Cheap and terribly effective.