Thread: Casters that don't "jiggle"

Casters that don't "jiggle"

I'm making a sewing table. I bought some 3" locking casters from McMaster Carr with a 5/16 threaded bolt which goes into a tee nut. The casters are good quality but I've run into an unexpected problem. The locking levers only prevent the wheel from turning, they don't prevent the wheels from rotating around their mounting axis which is off-center. If you gently shove on the table it jiggles as the wheels rotate on their axes.

I think the solution would be casters that lock both the wheel and the axis. I have some of these in various spots in my shop but they're the kind that mounts with a screw plate. The legs of the table are pretty spindly, maybe 1.5" square so I can't use casters that mount with a screw plate. Can anyone suggest a source for double locking casters with a bolt mount?

Failing that I'm thinking I should do something like have two legs with wheels and the other two with some kind of rod. The table would be moved by lifting on the side with the rods and rolling on the wheels. I don't love this solution, anyone have a better idea?

Thanks
    David

Answering my own question I found some casters made by Kreg on Amazon. Before I order these I'm wondering if anyone has any general advice on the problem?

Thanks
    David

Blog Entries
    In general, dual locking casters are the answer. Threaded post casters into a t-nut is not a method I would choose. The lateral stress of the threaded post from various directions when moving the piece could loosen the t-nut if it is merely driven in like a nail. They do make t-nuts that accept screws and I have used these on elevator feet with success but, these are not given the later stress of a caster post. Something I do on my elevator bolts that you may be able to do on your caster posts is to drill the hole that accepts the post to a size that requires that the threaded post be threaded into the wood once past the t-nut. This can provide additional lateral support.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-07-2017 at 12:39 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Rockler sells them also. They have a nice stem mount, dual locking, set made for their router tables. Pretty much like the Kregs. I have them and am pleased. As for a general tip, I would advise polyurethane wheels, non marking and do not develop flat spots. Nice for wooden floors.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have the Kreg casters on two different carts in the shop. Well made, no problems, and they lock and unlock easily, which has been a problem on cheaper casters I've used.

<p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    I&nbsp;</p>
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 10-07-2017 at 6:29 AM. Reason: problem with posting

Please see
    http://www.mjvail.com/carrymaster.htm

or http://www.footmaster.net/products/l...&small_code=GD
    and there is a varient with a post fitting

I would suggest looking on e bay for the best price regards Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Rockler sells them also.
    Not sure if you're fastening them to wood or metal. I can't figure out how the Kreg casters would be fastened to wood legs - which is what I'd be using ... I think some casters use a plastic insert (drill a hole and pound the insert in), but I can't find mention of such an insert on Kreg's website.

For wood, here's a link to the Rockler 4" dual locking casters http://www.rockler.com/4-heavy-duty-...optional-sizes

... and Rockler 3" dual locking casters http://www.rockler.com/3-heavy-duty-...optional-sizes

Another option is Rockler's Workbench caster, which actually drops the table leg to the floor rather than locking the caster http://www.rockler.com/workbench-caster-kit-4-pack

The Kreg casters have pretty stout stems, may be to large of diameter for your legs.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I've been buying double-locking casters from Lee Valley for years for everything from shop use through tack trunk commissions and our large, heavy movable kitchen island.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...