Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planing Thin Stock & Combination Plane Observations

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    LOL The whole thing about wooden planes just tickles me. I would agree that a dedicated wooden beading plane could do a better job. I think the price quoted for one was 265 times 2 for right and left hand version. Then do that again when you want to go from 1/4" to 3/8" and so on and so on. Or you could just do 3/8" on everything. I think the irons for the LV plow are $20. Thinking out loud here.
    Jim
    IMO there's room for both kinds of planes.

The woodies shine in difficult situations/woods. Woodies also (and counterintuitively) have the potential to create a wider range of profiles, provided you invest in a reasonably full collection. Unfortunately such a collection costs thousands of dollars if you buy from makers like Williams, Bickford, or Edwards.

The metal combo planes are more financially accessible for most of us :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    James; your not going to find too many traditional moulding planes bedded at 45 degrees. It defies sound logic that was well established before Stanley Co. was even a thought bubble.
    Ignoring the assertion of superior logic, Western wooden moulding planes for use on hardwoods are indeed typically pitched at 55 deg. IIRC Terry Gordon's are higher still, but I also seem to recall that Japanese molding planes are much lower.

Patrick; will you be applying Japanese logic on your moulding planes.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-07-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I deleted the comment because I felt it didn't add much, but yeah, that's basically it. I hadn't seen that specific page, but you can get the same information from a number of sources. In my case I've been working my way through Matt Bickford's book.

Stewie, out of curiosity whose floats do you use? I know you're in contact with Phil Edwards, and Don Wilwol posted a very favorable review of the ones Phil makes last year. Is that what you're using, and if so what do you think of them?

I currently have a hodgepodge of Liogier, L-N, and Iwasaki floats FWIW.
    Patrick; the Left and Right hand Skew Floats are included within my order from Phil Edwards; http://www.phillyplanes.co.uk/floats.html

Blog Entries
    Jim; its possible Patrick was making reference to the following info; https://www.hntgordon.com.au/using-h...ll-planes.html
    Possibly, those beads do look to be larger than 3/8". They also take a bit more work than using a combination plane. Though on larger sizes it may be easier to produce a smoother finish with woodies than with combies.

The finished work also differs in appearance from the work done by the bead/reed profiles of a combination plane.

Wooden hollows and rounds have a profile of 60º. Combination planes make a raised 180º profile.

There are a lot of things hollows and rounds can do a combination plane can not do. There are many things a combination plane can do any single molding plane can not do.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Am I to expect that those posting long and hard about beading planes will post something (preferably furniture) that they make with these planes?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Ignoring the assertion of superior logic, Western wooden moulding planes for use on hardwoods are indeed typically pitched at 55 deg. IIRC Terry Gordon's are higher still, but I also seem to recall that Japanese molding planes are much lower.
    All of the profiled Japanese planes that I have are bedded at 38 degrees, but they all also have chip breakers except the smallest of them. All of the true molding planes that I have seen are also using double irons.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Am I to expect that those posting long and hard about beading planes will post something (preferably furniture) that they make with these planes?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    How about one piece of furniture and one tool tote:

Tile Top Side Table.jpg

This table has four reeds. A smaller table with three reeds was made but is no longer in my possession.

The cutting of the apron details on this can be seen at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apLzrpsdcK0&t=48s

This is a detail on a tool box done years ago:

100_1163.jpg

After cutting a bead a few gouges were used to make the balls and short beads, Another name for them could be dots and dashes. If you know Morse code you know the letters are:

jtk

Thanks for the offer Pat, butter is fine as long as it is virtual.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Patrick; will you be applying Japanese logic on your moulding planes.
    Nope, I'll be pitching them at 55 deg as is common for Western-style moulding planes.

My point was merely that there isn't a single "correct angle". They're all over the place, particularly if you consider planes from non-Western traditions.

Butter, no salt...
    short third.jpg
    3/8" Cherry...Side for a Candy Box. Middle groove was for splitting the lid off.
    bead done.jpg
    Sometimes, it is easier to run the plane along the other edge..
    long rods.jpg
    I used the long rods because the short rods were...well, too short...
    jig.jpg
    I always use a jig....sometimes it is just easier to have the fence hanging off in mid-air...easier on my knuckles..
    plough work.jpg
    Just as long as the grooves turn out the way I want them...
    groove.jpg
    Sometimes..
    grooved.jpg
    Depends on what I need made..
    tongue planed.jpg
    Might wind up "Tongue-tied"?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Per your direction
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regards from Perth

Derek
    A few more just for fun.
    Jim

Steven, I asume you will be running sandpaper over your bead?

It's a bit rough, mate.

Regards from Perth

Derek

side view.jpg
    I seem to recall the other one was a work in progress, whereas this one is as COMPLETED....
    Used a couple more passes to finish smoothing the grooves.....
    First picture was a blog showing HOW I was making that box....not the Project Post. The bead also goes all the way around this box. Wood is figured Cherry.
    hinge view.jpg
    Just a box, to hold a few squares...
    layout toys.jpg
    Nothing real fancy....

Merely using up some scraps....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-08-2017 at 12:01 PM.

i would hate to shut down a great thread. Please stop goading each other.