Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new house, Need the collective wisdom of members of this site

Buying a new house, Need the collective wisdom of members of this site

As mentioned, the wife and I are buying a new house. Cuss swear, cuss swear. We have finally sold ours, and found the new house. The new house is only 1.5 years old. My shop will be in the double deep third car garage portion of the house. During the process of looking at the house, I knocked on the walls of the house between garage and house, and then did the same to the garage to outer wall areas. It has nicely insulated doors, and as far as I can tell, they are quite tight in the frame. I am sure from the sound of the "knocks" that the outer walls of the garage are not insulated under the drywall, but the inner walls are. Also, the garage ceiling is not insulated. I plan to send my pipe cleaner skinny nephew up to put fiberglass batts in the attic, but I am unsure what, if anything to do about the walls. Do you think they should be insulated? Heat rises, but some will be lost through the walls also. If so, what is the best, most cost effective way to insulate previously finished walls. By finished I mean that they have been drywalled and have first tape coat. If it is necessary to insulate them, I can take down the drywall and put kraft face in, but would rather not go to that length if it is un-necessary. Blow in is also an option, and I am sure there are some others. New house, so money is definitely an issue.

Some facts that might influence your advice. I live in Idaho in the high mountain desert. The winter temps average near 0*, and -20* is not unusual. At times it can even get to -40*, but not common. The wind blows here; a lot. Often 30-40 mph in winter from the south, and the shop is on the south side of the house. Summer runs between 85*- 100*, and the wind blows some. We don't get much snow (natures insulation). I know, seriously, why would anybody live here? But I do.

I also am looking for heating ideas. The house has gas, but it will be difficult getting it to the garage. I can do electric easier. My current shop is heated by a 3 burner heater on top of a propane tank. I would really like to get away from that.

If any of you have ideas, I am all ears. Thanks in advance for your time.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Blog Entries
    If you have a source of firewood a wood stove might be a good choice. If one comes along at a good price it would likely get me to clear some space for it in my shop.

Another thought would be to plant a wind break on the south side of your shop/property if you can.

Blown in insulation sounds like the most practical.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sheet rock is cheap, and finishing it to garage quality is easy -- tape and one coat of mud. I'd take the rock down, install the insulation, and install new rock.

I agree with Jamie. Remove the installed exterior wall drywall. Not only will that make insulation easier, but it will also allow you to deal with electrical modifications/additions that you'll likely want for your shop space. Then replace the wall board with new.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good point about wiring modifications.

At those temps I would use better then the standard fiberglass r13. Go to Canada and get r15 for a few percent more, or use rockwool. Depending on siding spray foam might be a good idea as it will seal air leaks as well as be the most insulation per inch.
    At -40 make sure to include outlets for the car block heaters, maybe on a timer?
    Bill D

I agree that insulation is necessary, especially if you're going to heat the space. Take the drywall off so you can insulate and seal properly and do your electrical work, but don't use drywall after that. Instead, use some sort of sheathing material to seal up the walls. This is more durable and you can then screw things to the walls anywhere you want. Even with painting the sheathing white, you're not looking at more effort than replacing the drywall.

Just don't remove the drywall on the "house" side as that's usually thicker fire-rated drywall that most codes require between a garage space and the living space. You can cover it with more sturdy material and use box extenders for any electrical if you need to do that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hose-sized holes can be cut into the drywall to blow insulation into each stud cavity. If you cut the holes, you might be able to hire an insulation contractor to blow in insulation there and the ceiling for almost the same cost as doing it yourself.

Hi,

I would first cut some small holes in the drywall in question and verify that your assumption that there is no insulation in there is correct.

If no insulation is in the walls, I would as others have suggested take the wall drywall off and insulate properly. Watch some utube videos, and you will be able to do a fine job finishing the replacement drywall yourself.

For the attic area, rather than batts, consider blown in insulation. It goes fast and covers well. If necessary you can paint the ceiling with vapor barrier paint. As a reference point, I recently insulated 1200 sq ft of attic to R60 with blown in Fiberglas and it took me about three hours. It is a two man job. One to feed the machine, and one to place the material. In your climate you need about this much or more.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

You can blow insulation into a wall too. If it is drywall then you can hole saw a couple 2" holes or so in between stubs (typically at top and midway -save the plugs), blow in the insulation, then use the plugs from wall, tape, and mud to patch holes. Id call some insulators in your area.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I agree with Jim about removing the drywall from the exterior walls, doing the electrical, insulating and reinstalling new drywall. It will make for a cleaner installation and suit your specific electrical needs too.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Since you have access to gas get a reasonable gas heater. Forget electric.
    Don

Agree with the others about removing drywall. Would extend the gas to the shop and heat with gas. Too many issues with insurance heating with wood, and electric is expensive to heat with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    At those temps I would use better then the standard fiberglass r13. Go to Canada and get r15 for a few percent more, or use rockwool. Depending on siding spray foam might be a good idea as it will seal air leaks as well as be the most insulation per inch.
    At -40 make sure to include outlets for the car block heaters, maybe on a timer?
    Bill D
    I was thinking about foam too, I'd think foam would help with air infiltration from wind. One downside would be being able to modify electrical. You'd pretty much need to use surface mount devices and conduit or something like it I'd think. I've never dealt with expanding foam insulated walls so no experience.